Herpes Expert Forum
Small bumps on groin. Very confused

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Small bumps on groin. Very confused

Hi, I have a number of small bumps where my leg meets my pelvis (both even with and lower than my scrotum).  In other words, these bumps are in the fold where my thigh meets my groin.  This occurs on both sides of my body.

The bumps appear to be flesh colored.  These might be raised hair follicles as there appears to be a hair growing out of each bump, although a few of the bumps do not have hair growing from them.  I do not shave this area.  The bumps are all quite small.  They do not itch, nor do they have any fluid in them.  Squeezing them produces nothing-- they do not burst.  The skin does not appear to be red or irritated.  On one of the bumps, there looked to be a white, waxy substance where the hair met the skin.  I used tweezers to remove the hair and the bottom of the hair had more of that white, waxy substance on it.  A day later, that bump remained but it did not bleed, itch, change color, etc.  

I should note that I only recently noticed these bumps.  They are in an area of my body I don't examine often, so maybe they've been there forever, maybe 2 weeks, who knows...

Add to this that I am deathly afraid of contracting HSV.  It is my all-time phobia (no idea why).  Of course, I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to diagnose these bumps.  These bumps did not sound like anything I read about online (for example, not in the right place to be Fordyce spots, not red like folliculitis, etc).  Then I read about how herpes can look like common skin issues and I started freaking out.  I had an unprotected "bump and grind" (i.e., no penetration) situation with a woman about 5 weeks ago.  I do not know her HSV status but for what it's worth I did not notice any lesions.

Any idea what might be going on here?  Thanks in advance.
Have you had a clinician evaluate these bumps?  That would probably be the best thing for you to do.  It is really hard to evaluate bumps by their description over the internet.

What I can do is to tell you the most common things that would show up in the area of the body that you describe.  

The most common would be a fungal infection in that area (or jock itch).  It less often causes bumps, but usually a reddish rash that is bilateral (both sides).  Sometimes it can cause an irritation of the hair follicles enough to cause bumps.  Groin fungal infections can most often be treated with over the counter antifungal creams.  These are not sexually transmitted, but are rather caused by an overgrowth of fungus that is already on the skin normally.

Another possibility is molluscum contagiosum.  Have you looked these pictures up online?  They are normally skin colored bumps with a little dimple in the center.  They have a hard white substance in them that can be squeezed out.  These are caused by the pox virus.

Another possibility is folliculitis, which is also common in this area and is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle.  This can be treated with antibiotics, either oral or topical.

Hope this helps give you some  new ideas.  The best thing, however, is for you to be seen in person.

Herpes is not even on my list here.

Terri
Thanks!
You're welcome

Terri