Herpes Community
So Confused

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

So Confused

I am a 32 year old female who just was tested positvie for herpes. I went to the doctor for my yearly anual and he ask me did I want to take this new that they have for herpes a long with my other test. I figure why not about a week later they aking be to come back in the office do to my blood work. The first thing that cross my mind was Aids. I ask her what was the problem she told me its herpes and you need to come and get medicine to help treat just in case I'm having an outbreak. I told her I don't think that I have had an out break. She told me just use a condom and I can retake the test if I feel that it is wrong. I had to sit over the holidays thinking what if I do have this. What type of signs have I had in the past that may relate to this. I have been doing some research and it says yeast infection is one of the signs. I know I have been having them a lot and bacterial infections could these be my signs of having the infections? When I went to the doctor he say there is no way that he can tell me how long that I have had this. I had a baby 3 years ago through c-section how can I determine how long have I had this. I have been dating a new man its going on a year. I know since him my skin has been itchy and I have broken out on my thighs but the marks are still their. My medical doctor gave me some cream that dried it up could that been an out break? I have been so confused and really don't know what to think. I told my current boyfriend he told me he has not had an outbreak. He was trying to be a bit comfort to me then all of sudden he had distant himself. I know he said he was going to go get tested. I not for sure if he has yet I have not seen him since then. I don't know but my gut is telling that this is something that has been in me more than 15 years it that possible to go that long and not have signs. Are could this be a recent transmission.
If you can call the clinic today and ask them to read you the actual test results, write them down and then post them here for me, I can best help you. All I need you to post are the actual test results - e.g. hsv1 igg 6.7 and hsv2 igg 2.3 is all I need to see. Then I can help you see if you were properly tested and if you need further confirmatory testing or not.

odds are you weren't tested for herpes when you were pregnant.

has your bf been tested yet?

grace
I don't know if he got tested he want answer any of my calls right now? I will get the results and let you know
I was told by the doctor that I have type 2. This so confuesing I have no idea when I might have contracted this. I have told my current boyfriend he still has not gotten the results back yet. Is it wrong to feel that I don't care what his results are. I know it not right to feel this way but I'm feel so a long. My skin has been breaking out for the past year and when I was pregnant with my son my skin start itching real bad. This was about 10 to 15 years ago one of my ex said that he had it and he got it from me. I got tested then and I didn't have it. Could be that I had got then from him.
do you recall what testing you had 10-15 years ago?

when you say your skin has been breaking out and you've had itching - is that genital or just what?
How long can an out break be when you do have one? How does the valtrex work for you if its not a cure? I have just been tested positive for hsv 2 and it only has been a week. I'm almost for sure that I have had and outbreak in the past. When I thought I was having one the doctor told me that it will show up on my pelvic and not were else. I have bumps on my stomach and on my feet. It this be related to herpes.
I don't know what type of test that I was given back then I know he check inside and draw some blood. I had to come back  in a week for the results. I had ask my doctor about that he said the test he just had given me is new. This test just came out about  3 years ago. My skin has been itching starting about 3 years ago. I also had a bad back after a colonoscopy this had me bed bond for about a weeik. This was about 5 years ago I could not understand what was going on with my back after that procedure. I still have to sleep with some cush on my back right at the tale end. Could this be related.
if you didn't have any follow up testing done after that initial testing, no way to know if you had hsv2 then and it was too soon to be detected on the testing you had done then or if  you acquired it since then.  At this point all you can do is have your partner tested to see what their status is and go from there.  

bumps on the stomach and feet aren't likely to be herpes related at all. itching all over your body isn't likely to be related either. I suggest a dermatology consult to try to figure out what is going on better on those body parts.

back pain all the time isn't due to herpes either.  see your provider for a proper work up for it.  

call monday for those test results to post here so I can better help you with what step to take next.
I'm sorry just trying to get an clear understanding of all the information. You want me to call the doctor to see if there have been more test done since my last one or do I need to go have another test done? I'm just kind of confused. My bf say his appointment is next week. He don't seem to concern to me or it could be my emotion going every where and I can't tell.
just the information I asked for in my 1st reply to you.
Ok, When I had called and ask them about my numbers to my results the nurse did not know what I was talking about. Then she called me back and said that the doctor said that it was a 2 and she didn't have no more information. When I agree to take the test he told me that most of all his patience has been coming back positive with this. When I went and got my result he said I told you that a lot of people have been coming back positive. He say that this test just came out about 3 years ago and he has been trying it out and since most of patience have come back positive he has been suggesting it to everyone. I just wanted to know have u heard of this new test? I was told that you have to have outbreak before you a test can really detect that you have it or not. You say what I have been experience with my skin on my stomach and my feet is not it right. I know since I have turned 32 my skin has really been acting strange. I had some bumps that were redish looking in different circle come on my thigh and hip that itch real bad. This was like out side of the panty line. I had went and seen my medical doctor and he gave me some cream that made it go away but the marking are still there. I have had two yeast infection in the last four months and I always get a bacterial infection could those be signs of an out break.
sounds like he doesn't remotely understand the test he is giving to his patients which is poor medicine.

there should be a numeric result for hsv1 and also 1 for hsv2. You should have 2 different results.  

no you do not have to have an ob before the blood tests can detect herpes - you just have to be infected for at least a few weeks/months for it to be accurate.  
I went to get my results today HSV II Igg, ts 3.90 H 0.00-0.90 index
negative 1.09
you are hsv2+ but your result is still in the low positive range so  you should follow up on it to confirm your status. A herpes western blot is the best test to use for this.   Call your provider to see if they will order it for you. if they use quest labs, it's test #34534.  

have you and your partner worked things out or have you still not heard much from him?

no reason to treat your herpes at this point though. You don't have any obvious symptoms currently so no reason for acyclovir at this point. Once you've confirmed your status, if you really do have hsv2, we can further discuss treatment options for you.
He is still acting funny I don't know if he is telling the truth or not about his results. Its something how you can be with a person for so long and some like this happen. They all of sudden don't know who you are.
what did his results come back as?
can someone help me?
don't be rude - please be patient and keep all your questions in your own post . thank you.

this is discussed in our read before posting post on this forum.
He is not wanting to talk to me. The last time I talk to him he said he an appointment some time this week and he forgot the day of when it was. I only see half of my results that came through can you see it all. The positive signs says >1.09. I really don't know what to do about this man I'm worried about my results and his and he is not wanting to take my calls. I know that he told me back in July his results was negative. I just think that is a little strange he remember the date. My mind is wondering in all kind of ways I don't know to think that he been know and has not told me or he then had a breakout and didn't tell me. I don't know I know everyone handles things different but I think he is being real childish about the situation this is how people get infected because people like him not loving himself to express himself. I don't know I'm just venting a bit. I just figure if I just pull back a bit maybe he will come to me on his on and tell me. I know since it really that you can tell were you can get this disease from that people might get the wrong idea and think its not from them. I was so afraid of this reaction because who don't know that you can't really tell where have contracted it from. The nurse that I spoke to say that since my numbers are low meaning that I just contracted this and that it can be treated to make my numbers go down but that don't mean it want come back. Is this something that you can help with. Is she telling the truth about what she is saying are she don't know what she is talking about. She told me if I'm getting treated now then when I come back in a couple of weeks retake the test my numbers will show negative. She say if he don't get treated then he can reinfect me all over again. Then I will have to go throught therapy again.
I also like to thank you for taken out the time to answer my question.
to me if you are doubting the honesty of a partner and he's avoiding you - that's a sign that it's time to move on. It hurts I know but he's not acting very mature so why would you want someone like this in your life for the long term?

At this point pursue additional testing to confirm your own status and go from there. YOU are the most important part of this at this point!

Treating your herpes won't affect your numbers at all. that is erroneous info :(  All treating your herpes does is make you feel better faster when you have an obvious recurrence present or when taken daily, can help prevent future recurrences and help reduce transmission to a partner.  also no you can't be reinfected again from your partner if you don't treat.  
I called and spoke to the lab at my doctor office first she told me that western blot only be given to people who has hiv. Then she said that it was already given to me to see what type of hsv that I have. Do I get the same test done or do I do a different test. I'm feeling that its really kind of difficult to go and get a different test done to be given the same response this will be more heart breaking then receiving the first results. I know in past years I have been having bacterial infection this infection gets treated then it comes right back sometime I might do something to trigger it off but most the time it just there. In the past 4 months I have had 2 yeast infection and this is something new. I have not had that in a long time. Could the bacterial infection could have been letting me know that something is wrong with me inside. The last time I got treated the doctor told me to use the cream once a month for bacteria infection he said some time our body don't react to other to well and this will help me body out. He say that my bf and I body chemistry has not just been matching. If I do need addition testing how long should I have to wait to take the test. What test should I be take? I do thank you for this information because the people I have been speaking to they don't have a clue about it. From what they are telling me that they are confused about it and I'm not for sure if they have people who is concerned about their results. I just need to know which way to go with the next phase. I'm just as nervous as I was when I got the first results my stomach has trillion butterflies in it.
the WB is a type of test. It can be used for many different kinds of infections, not just hiv.  there is specifically a herpes WB blood test and I'm doubting that your had it done from what you posted about the lab.

you can get a herpes WB 4 months after the last time you had sex.
How long should I wait before retesting I took the first test 11-15-10
Hello Grace,

I just left the doctor and he explain my results to me which he didn't do the first time. He said that I'm positive 3.09 and that I took the western blot test HsvII positive. I ask him why he didn't explain it to me at first he said he didn't thin that he had to that he let me know that it was positive. I have been try to coupe with this but its getting a little better. He took me off of valtrex and given me acolix. The valtrex makes my head fell like its on fire. I have tried talking to my ex and he is not going to come around. The last he told me that he was getting his test back last Tuesday when I called to ask him. He made it real difficult so I'm just not going to worry about it anymore on his behalf. I just have to learn to coupe with this. I still have not had any visual ob. I don't know so confused.
can you check the spelling on your new medication? acolix doesn't come up when I google it to make sure it's a herpes medication.  

do you feel confident that you had a herpes WB done to confirm your results?  I'm still just a little doubtful from what you previously posted that's all.

keep asking questions!
The medicine is acyclovir I think that is how its spelled. I have not gotten the prescription filled yet. The doctor showed me were it said western blot and under it was hsv II. It is still confusing considering don't know and out break when I see it or not. He told that everything was fine and he didn't see anything but I still have irritation going on now. The doctor say that he didn't see anything. I took cultures and he just gave me some cream. I don't know what is going on especial since every has told me their results except for my new ex I have had three partners in the past three years and three say that they had recently go tested and they didn't have anything. This last one just don't want to cooperate so I'm just going to leave him alone and let him be. I know it will be hard to even to get a person to admit they have it or not. I'm just going to worry about me from now on.
ok glad you saw the actual results. I just have a trust no one philosophy about herpes testing!

you never have to treat your herpes if you don't want to. if the  medication makes you feel ill and you aren't currently sexually active, no reason to take it. what dose of valtrex were you on that was making you sick?
1 GM
hold on a sec- isnt  weird that intense2010's  doc ordered a western blot, without an iGG ELISA test. Am i reading the posts right?
I dont think u had the western blot. I think ur doc is full of **** and that u need to make sure u had the western blot completed. Ask for a copy of ur test results. Unbelievable!!!!!
I did look at it and he went over it with me. The test says western blot he say this is the test he is giving to all of his patient and most of all of them is coming out positive. Sometime I be thinking I shouldn't have said ok I will take it. Then I would not know what I know now. You will have to excuse my writing in the past I'm just so confused.
you might want to try the acyclovir instead and see how you do on it if you want to try suppressive therapy to protect a partner. Sometimes folks who have issues with valtrex, will do better on acyclovir.   If you prefer the convenience of once daily valtrex for suppressive therapy, try the 500mg dose and take it before bedtime and see how that works. Another option is to work up to it gradually - like break the 500mg pill in half and take half once a day for a week and then up to the full pill. I had to do that after I switched to valtrex at one point because of side effects from it and I tolerated it much better. since you aren't waiting for an ob to heal faster and don't currently have a partner you are trying to protect, you can take your time getting to a full dose for comfort's sake.
I just notice small white bumps on my oval I guess this is my signs. How long will this last and how can prevent them from coming back?
I dont see it now. I'm so confused!!!!!!
not everything that goes on will be due to herpes. in time you'll get better at figuring out what is herpes and what isn't.

hang in there!
The past couple of weeks has been stressful just the fact of not knowing how ob looks or feel. I have spoken to my ex he finally came to his senses I guess it was just to over whelming for him of my results. He has it also and the thing is I'm not for sure who gave it to whom. I just recently came on my period now I know what an ob is now. I have had these signs before in the past couple of months but I guess I was not looking for all of the signs. I had stop taking my medication because I wanted to know how it feels and what to expect when I was having an ob. Now my question to you is how long does an ob last? I have started back my acyclovir how long will it take for this to start taking affect? I hear that your first ob is the worst of them all is that true. I have found some on my breast if this gets on my hands can I spread it to a baby would out even knowing? If I was to scratch a lession and touch somebody else can they contract this. I get this itching sensation that really takes over my body.
While I am not grace I will answer a few things here.

I am sorry the past couple of weeks were stressful.  It is great he came back to his senses and started thinking.  None the less the information is helpful when knowing both partners have HSV-2.  

While this is a challenge and understandbly so let's take a look at a few things.

Outbreaks can last from 5-10 days.  The acyclovir is the best medicine to help with speeding up the timeframe outbreaks last.  Each person is different though so yours maybe shorter or a few days longer but that is not always the case.  

The bumps on your breast may not be herpes.  You are most likely infected in your genital location.  The best thing to do would be once a bump shows up in your breast be seen for a lesision culture at your doctors office within 24-48hrs.  That would be the best way to find out if it is HSV or not but chances really low that it is HSV.  

If you have the virus on your hands it doesn't live that long.  You won't spread it to the other parts of your body because you have an immune response.  While you can in theory can infect other sites in the start of things it is rarely the case because the virus has to be transmitted and be massaged into the skin.  

Children are a little bit of a different story.  My advice would be if you reach down there to scratch yourself before touching baby clean your hands.  Keep hand sanatizer with you and around you for those "opps" moments.  Generally speaking HSV won't spread with hand to hand contact but it is best to clean your hands after touching down yonder not only HSV but other germs down there.

Remember you aren't a walking biohazard.  
I thank you for comment. That last part made me laugh it just I'm just scared this is all new to me. For some reason if I itch in one spot it goes to another spot I do have on clothes at the moment. You know when being around kids you just want to be extra careful. I will go to the doctor and get check out about the breast it just you know sometime you get tired of seeing them. Me and my ex we were trying out our relationship again it just this subject is really hard to talk about any suggestion?
Laughing is truly the point to my comments.  I want posters to smile.  This truly isn't the end of the world if you don't let it be.  The fact is we are all scared of something we don't understand.  I don't understand math all that well.  So when it comes time to make sure my math is good on my taxes I have a math whiz do it.  When it comes to the computer I am an expert on that so I don't fear it.  

This is new and one of the best reasons to ask US questions is to learn about it.  I really want you to feel comfy knowing that this is what is going on.  Honestly now that I know what I know about HSV as far as I am concerned it is just a skin issue.  I don't want it but if I got it no biggie.  But that is only because I understand it.  Or atleast try too.  

I am glad you have clothes on.  I believe we have a clothes on policy when posting to our forums.  PJ's are accpetable but only because Grace posts from her bed in her PJ's.  In all seriousness yes keeping clothes as a barrier between those spots until you are sure they aren't anything to worry about is going to be the best bet.  Kids do change things and we all want to be careful.  

I bet you are tired of seeing bumps.  Honestly I am too.  My leg is full of them.  The thing is bumps can be anything.  It a skin response to skin infections and even bites.  so many things can cause bumps it isn't funny.  

I am not a relationship expert by any means.  My track record with women is well I am divorced and now single.  So...  But since you asked I will give you my thoughts speaking as a guy of course.

When I look around and I see people post about herpes the first thing is that social stigma of HSV.  Its really undue I mean we don't freak out when someone has the chicken pox.  Heck we all get it as a kid usually. So that fear kicks into high gear when you first here those words of positive herpes.  

Communication is the key to any relationship followed by trust and then commitment.  If I can't communicate with you then our relationship is doomed to fail.  That part is the key to this.  Talking to your partner.  You both have this virus.  So you now have something in common.  Together you are going to either help each other over come this cowardly virus or you are going to pull a part under the stress.  Approaching the subject has to be done. But it has to be both sides.  There is a computer term that I use a lot and it is I/O.  That is Input/Output.  You input which becomes output and then he inputs which becomes output.  

So the relationship has to be about talking.  Who gave who what is moot at this point.  You both have it.  Time to move past it you will never know who had what and when.  But is that important to the relationship?  To me it is not.  But I am not your boyfriend.  If that is a problem then the best they to do is sit down and explain you will never know.  But the virus didn't change the facts of what you two feel in love with each other.  He didn't fall in love with you because of your lack of a virus.  He fell in love with you for whatever reasons (Sweet, good cook, good looking, etc).  So remind him of that.  

Commitment is key and crucial too.  If you can't count on each other to get through those tough times then you have a serious challenge ahead of you.  I can't myself take someone who won't work with me through the bad times but only stays for the good times.  But again that is my personality.  In his case you two have to find out what happened here to make him run off.  It could very well have been an I/O error in that too much was going in and once.  

Bottom line for me is that you have to sit down take out all the distractions and find out where the relationship is and where you are going.  You and he need to TALK.  You need to have a say and he needs to listen.  Then he needs to talk and you need to listen. When the chips are down you have to be there for each other otherwise why be together?  

I would ALSO highly recommend you and him going through the www.westoverheights.com website and reading the herpes handbook and view the patient counseling videos.  Furthermore, sitting down in front of a counselor may prove to be useful and helpful (think of it as a neutral ground).  You both can be on this very forum asking us questions.  You know what make it a date night to get with each other and learn more about this.  
I thank you for your comment I will try that it don't sound like a bad idea. I will see if we can do that.