Herpes Community
Sound like prostatitis?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sound like prostatitis?

Hello,

I had a relatively risky (protected vaginal, protected anal, unprotected oral sex) sexual encounter close to eight weeks ago. A couple days later, I felt a burning in the area of my urethra just behind my intreameatus -- and my intrameatus as well. Additionally, the area around the urethral opening of my penis was red.

The redness and burning lessens when I do not ejaculate (up to now, this has been limited to masturbation). It increases immediately after I ejaculate. Urination causes no burning or pain. Urinalysis revealed no bacterial growth.

An ultrasound of my abdomen revealed a large amount of 'white' around my prostate, which my doctor identified as an infection; thus, I've been on levofloxacin (Tavanic) for close to six weeks now. The burning has generally lessened over time; at first, and for several weeks, if I sat up straight the burning in my urethra would increase, and if I lay down it decreased and eventually disappeared. Now the burning is only present for a few hours after ejaculation, and it is much, much less noticeable.

I was placed on Famvir, which is an antiviral for herpes, at 750/mg a day for 7 days. This did not alleviate my symptoms. Three weeks later I was placed on 1g/day for 5 days of Valtrex. This also did not alleviate my symptoms.

Nevertheless, my doctor is convinced it's herpes? I display no sores, lesions, blisters, etc. Am I in denial or is he wrong? The symptoms above are all I've listed. Does this sound like prostatitis? I know that only a blood test in another month or two would be truly definitive re: herpes, but... I would like some input on the prostate front, so to speak.

Thank you for your help.
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
why does your doctor believe this is herpes? did he give you any sort of explanation?
symptoms don't match herpes, you haven't had a positive test for it (swab or blood test). there's no reason for a herpes diagnosis.
Blank
I don't think it's herpes, no; but I'm more interested in what it IS rather than what it ISN'T.

I did receive a blood test two weeks after the symptoms appeared; the IGG antibody test was negative.

Thanks though!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank