Herpes Community
Spit!!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Spit!!

I went on vacation about a week ago and went shopping in this shoe store. I needed to ask the customer service representative for some help and when he spoke to me, his spit landed on my lip. (GROSS) When I looked at him I saw little red bumps on his face around his mouth. After we left the store I was freaking out that he could have passed something to me! I pretty much had a panic attack and was really scared. It's been a week and I noticed a bump under my bottom lip. It's not bleeding, red or too noticeable... but I can see it and it is kind of itchy. Should I be worried and how likely is it that the man could have given me herpes or anything?!
Wear a space helmet next time your go out in public ..... your paranoia is over the top I'm afraid .....

Daisy
I have to disagree with daisy315. I wouldn't like some stranger's spit on me either, especially anyone near my mouth.

hopeful855
THANKYOU! :)

At least someone agrees with me... I am already kind of a germophobe... so the idea of some stranger's spit landing on my lip was disgusting.

Ok so I read that herpes can only be spread from skin to skin contact, not through saliva.. that being the case, how come you can still catch herpes through shared drinks/chapstick if it can only be spread through skin?
Yes, I am a paranoid person I'll give you that... but with all the strange **** and diseases going around, how could I not be?

It takes heat and friction along with contact with the virus to transmit it. Whatever is going on in your mouth, it isn't due to herpes.

should you worry about spit in your mouth/eye? Yes but not herpes, tons of other germs out there that are easily transmitted thru contact like that.

grace
I don't retract from what I said it is utterly ridiculous to get so stressed out by something like that .....  you obviously haven't given much thought to when someone sneezes near you the spores from one single sneeze travel for miles and hit everything and everyone around just because you don't feel the tiny germ particles hit your skin doesn't mean they haven't it just so happens you felt this tiny bit of saliva hit you it automatically threw you into extreme paranoia,it's just one of life's many daily germ hazards I'm afraid and you need to get over it or seek help for your phobia it's just not healthy to be so afraid of normal everyday things to this extent  ....  

Daisy