Herpes Community
Still freaking out - wondering if I can get re-tested before 3 months?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Terri,
Thank you for your insightful answers. I posted a similar Q to Dr. Handsfield, but I wanted to ask you specific q's.  I regrettably engaged in unprotected oral sex & protected vaginal sex w/ a friend who lied to me about his HSV-2 status. I'm prone to anxiety, but this has taken a life of it's own. It's day 25.
Was tested 2 weeks after the encounter and Western Blot said I had no history of exposure to HSV-1 or HSV-2. I didn't have any "classic" symptoms of oral/genital herpes, but I did get alarming symptoms like diarrhea, generalized soreness (hips, groins, legs, neck) and I got crazy swelling/numbness all over my face (lips (weird puffy bumps), around mouth, nose, eyes).  Swelling has been intermittent for 20 days and it's finally getting less bad.  Swelling started 2 days after the exposure, so I'm really scared I contracted it both places or even systematically.
Was wondering what you think my chances of acquiring HSV-2 from this encounter? Vaginal sex was protected, but oral wasn't and he was very rough w/ me.  Is there a higher chance I have oral or genital - or just equal?  If I had gotten it, did I probably get it in both regions?
I'm very sad bc I hadn't been intimate/dated for 3 years and of course after this trauma, I met someone great.  We've kissed only and thought that was safe, but now I'm terrified I could give him oral HSV-2. I am going to tell him the next time I see him about my situation, but I'm really unsure what to tell him. That I probably, might, or really probably don't have HSV-2?
I was told to wait 4 months from now to get another test, but feel too anxious.
Because the blood work showed I have neither hsv-1 or 2, can't I get a test sooner to see if I contracted HSV-2?  Dr. H said it wasn't really medically necessary to get re-tested, but I just don't see what else this facial swelling and numbness could be from. Do you think I'm a rare, unlucky person who got a crazy reaction to Herpes?
Sorry - forgot to mention He got HSV-2 sometime between 6 months and 1 year ago and he claims he's taking an anti-viral daily. But, obviously cannot trust his word because I asked him twice about his status and he told me he was clean twice. Sigh.
Has anyone else been in my situation before? What advice would you give?
your anxiety is the real issue here, not your herpes risk from your previous partner.

first off - be honest with your new partner. let him know that you want to abstain from sexual contact at this time because you have a previous partner you haven't completed full std testing from and you believe in being sexually responsible. that way it's all there out in the open as to why you want to take things slow at this point.

did you transmit hsv2 to your new partner from kissing him? absolutely not!!  you have absolutely no reason to think that you have hsv2 orally and even if you did, it doesn't shed much so the odds of transmission from kissing are incredibly low.

can you test earlier than the 3 month  mark for herpes to accurately determine your status from your previous partner? no you can not.

grace
Hi Grace,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and insightful response.  I have read countless threads in these community forums and always noticed that Grace provided concerned community members with sensible and well informed replies.  

I will take your advice and will also get tested at the 3 month mark first and perhaps at the 6 month mark again.

Thank you again Grace. You are such a godsend on these boards!
3 months and done. no reason for testing at 6 months!! don't torture  yourself needlessly over this :)
Ah, really?! Ok, then Western Blot at 3 months. Thank you again, Grace!!!!
Last Question, Sorry!

If I test positive for HSV-2, but have no symptoms in either the oral or genital region, how will I know where I am shedding?
honestly if you were completely negative for herpes before this encounter, odds are you would've had very obvious and "classic" symptoms of which you did not. I'd just test with a regular type specific igg blood test 3 months post encounter and be done with it if you need the peace of mind.
Grace,

Thank you so much again for your quick and helpful reply.  I feel like the internet can be so dangerous for finding out correct information and I'm so grateful that there are such engaging and helpful experts on MedHelp. You have touched so many lives!