Herpes Community
Strange white bump on lip. HSV?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Strange white bump on lip. HSV?

This past Saturday (1/1/11), a bump appeared on the edge of my lip. It looked like it may be the beginning of a pimple or a cold sore. The idea that it could be a cold sore occurred to me only because of the location. I have never developed cold cores that I can recall, and tested neg for HSV1/2 the last time I had a full panel performed in early October.

By the time the bump had fully formed Saturday evening, the white head of it had become very prominent. It was small, there were no other blisters, it was not sore to the touch, and there was very little red to it at all. The hard white head was all that remained. I began applying tea tree oil to it with a q-tip, and it has shrunk and and appears to be healing even now. I had planned to have it cultured, but by the time I can get an appt at the clinic, it might be gone, especially if it continues to shrink/heal at its current rate. Again, I'm simply alarmed since it formed right on the border of my lip. I had my mother take a look at it. She is a nurse, and also suffers from occasional cold sores, and she said that it doesn't look like a typical cold sore, and if it doesn't really hurt much, she has further doubts that it is HSV1.

1. Given that the overwhelming majority of the bump is a hard whitehead, and it doesn't hurt, would you wager that this is something other than HSV? Does the level of pain vary greatly in HSV1 outbreaks?

2. The bump seems to be healing/shrinking with the topical application of tea tree oil. Could this ever occur with a herpes related sore? Do HSV sores ever heal without breaking, weeping, and scabbing? This one seems to be retreating back into the skin (at least for the time being), not unlike a zit.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
-JWSR
Seeing your mother was a good idea however seeing your doctor would have been best.  While it doesn't sound like a cold sore given that it hasn't burst there is no way to be sure.  Bumps could be anything and one persons pain isn't equal to anothers.  

You have a full work up in October how long ago was that since your last sexual encounter/kissing encounter?  

I get those from time to time especially if I miss shaving or I use a dull razor.  The best thing though in the future on repeat symptoms is be seen within 24-48 hours for a lesision culture.  If you can't be seen by your normal doctor contact your local health department for their or STD clinic for proper testing.  
Yeah, it was my health department that was booked until later this week. I'm uninsured and can't regularly see an actual doctor.

I should note that I developed this bump a week or so after shaving off my goatee. Also, my lips have been chapped and I'd been applying a lot of beeswax based balm. I've just never developed this type of bump right on the edge of my lip. Had it been anywhere else on my face, I would have concluded it was an ingrown hair, but there is not a lot of growth right around the edge of my lip.

My last kissing/sexual contact was on November 21st. Right around six weeks ago, nearly double the standard incubation period, by my understanding.
this sounds more like a pimple than a cold sore.  

Honestly I wouldn't even pursue testing for herpes based on this.

grace
I think you're probably right. I just pulled the protruding white head from the bump, and there was no weeping, no fluid/bleeding, and no pit/abcess. No pain, either. I'll declare this one an overreation on my part. I'll wait for confirmation when my yearly testing is done. Thanks, guys! :)

-JWSR