Suppression Question
I have read that 80-90% of people on suppression see a dramatic reduction in outbreak frequency.

I am curious why the other 10-20% do not see a dramtic reduction. Are these typically immune suppressed people or are they otherwise healthy but "unlucky"?

Does even the most "unlucky" otherwise healthy person see SOME improvement or is it possible that you could take acyclovir and see little or no change to your pattern (frequency or intensity) at all? Are there people that go on suppression only to see their outbreaks go from 10-12 times a year to 8-10?

The intensity of my outbreaks have never been the problem. I have never, pre or during suppression ever gotten more than 1 lesion during an outbreak and they have always healed in less than 5 days but the outbreaks come every 3-5 weeks. Suppression or not.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
What sort of work up have you been thru?  Have you had any recent lesion cultures of your symptoms to confirm that they are herpes?  

grace
Grace, I am glad you responded. It seems that you are one of the non MD "experts" around here.

I just found this board and have been reading a lot. I have learned that I need additional testing to determine if all of my symtoms are actually Herpes.

I also need to find a Dr who is not as dismissive as the GP that I have been seeing. He just gave me some pills and basically sent me on my way.

But forgetting my situation for a second, do you have any input into my 10-20% of the people questions? What do you know about this category of people?  
The 10-20% is the same issues as with any drug on the market. Put 100 people with seasonal allergies on the same drug and the vast majority of them will get significant relief from the medication while there will be a certain percentage of them that won't.   Everyone's body is different and for some folks, they just won't get the same 70% reduction in ob's with suppressive therapy that most folks do.  

A dermatologist is probably your next step for further evaluation.

grace