Herpes Community
Suppression time?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Suppression time?

I recently tested positive for both HSV1 and 2 (IgG 4.6 and 4.7 respectively) I have never had anything I would have contributed to being an outbreak.  I was put on Valtrex and I would like to know how long do I need to be taking this before it starts to offer some protection against transmission?  

If on suppression therapy and using condoms how much does that lower risk of transmission approximately?

Do polyurethane condoms protect against herpes as well as latex? I would never use lambskin condoms, but sometimes my vagina and latex don't play well together and polyurethane is my only other option.

Because I've never (knowingly) had an outbreak I've been watching my vagina vigilantly to try and find one. I was reading the Dr forums and Dr HHH said "[herpes] is not common in the pubic (hairy) areas."  Does that mean it's not likely I would get an OB anywhere on my major labia?

OK one more then I'm done. Do herpes bleed? I've always contributed any bumps to folliculitis as those bumps always bleed if they open up. Do herpes bleed when they weep or is it always clear/ cloudy fluid?
Suppressive therapy, if started when no obvious symptoms were present, kicks in after 5 days.  

The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com is a terrific resource that will answer most of your other questions you've asked. Give it a read when you have a chance or if you read it when you were first diagnosed - read it again now that you are less stressed and more likely to retain what it says :)

You can get herpes ob's anywhere in the entire boxer short area.  Ob's are different for everyone.