Herpes Community
Suppressive Therapy/ Lysine

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Suppressive Therapy/ Lysine

I just had a visit with my doctor and he told me that if my girlfriend was against taking suppressive therapy medication, that I should possibly consider taking them myself as a precaution. Even though I'm negative for HSV 2, he said it would help as a defense for my body from possibly being infected. He also mentioned an amino acid called Lysine, which he said is an alternative natural supplement that has shown to help reduce outbreaks and their severity. Unfortunately, I have zero faith in anything he tells me because of the cavalier way in which he discusses not only herpes, but any medical issue. I'd be willing to take valtrex if it actually benefited a seronegative partner? Thank again...

P.S. I know I said yesterday was my last question, hopefully, you will forgive me!
we have no studies that show that the uninfected partner taking suppressive therapy would ward off infection. In animal studies it didn't so it's not been pursued at this time.

Lysine is barely effective for genital herpes. You get very little bang for your buck with it. Most folks get more than enough lysine naturally in their diets to begin with. No study has ever been able to prove that diet makes a difference in herpes ob's/shedding.  

grace
If your girlfriend is taking daily suppression, you are being well protected right there. You can add a little more protection with condoms, but your risk is already really low if she's taking medication.

Find another doctor.
Unfortunately, she will not take suppression medication. Which is why I have been looking for alternative ways to protect myself. I do agree that a need to find another doctor though!  Do you think I'm wrong for asking my partner to consider taking suppressive medication being that I'm negative for HSV1&2? She is dead set against it, which is asking me reconsider if this is the right situation for me......
Why won't she do it?

She claims to have concerns over side effects from taking daily meds. However, she is a smoker, which makes me wonder myself. I can't think of too many things worse to do to yourself on a regular basis than putting a cigarette in your mouth. Do you know if there are any significant side effects with taking the suppressive meds daily?
there are no long term side effects to taking the medication. Her smoking will do far more harm to her than valtrex ever could in the long run.

Your risk of contracting hsv2 from her is overall very low to begin with. Suppressive therapy just puts the odds more and more in her favor. If she won't even consider taking suppressive therapy for a few months/years until you both see where the relationship is going and you aren't comfortable with that then perhaps this isn't the relationship for you as you already alluded to.  

grace
If she won't take valtrex, dump her.

She's selfish, not to mention stupid in light of her being a smoker and worrying about long term health risks..

Don't you think you'd rather be herpes free than be in a relationship where herpes is an issue and your girlfriend is dumb and selfish?
Grace,

I just returned from my girlfriends OBGYN and he told us that since she is Positive for HSV1 & 2 but doesn't have any outbreaks that she doesn't need to be on suppressive therapy. Is this correct info? I called the CDC afterwards and they told me that I should abstain from sex with her completely, which really made me disgusted. Because I thought that was very poor and hurtful information to give to someone. Not to mention VERY wrong info. My question is about the doctors advice redarding it not being necessary for her to be on suppressive medication? Thanks
No, that advice isn't accurate. She can still shed the virus without having any symptoms and therefore put her partners at risk. Find another doctor if this one won't give her a prescription for medication.

The CDC is in Atlanta - that could explain their attitude on the phone. There are lots of uptight right-wing conservatives in that area, and they are probably inserting their own values in there. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Atlanta. I think they're running out of water, too.
sorry to hear that your experience on the phone with the cdc was  negative.  Not sure if you were given crappy info or if just they didn't explain it well and you interpreted it wrongly from them  :(

This is the way it is - you are either willing to accept the small risk of contracting hsv1 and/or hsv2 from your partner or you aren't.  If you feel that yes the small risk is far worth it but just would prefer her to be on suppressive therapy so that you can have a little more peace of mind or know that you are working a little harder to keep the odds in your favor that's one thing but if in general you aren't comfort with the risk to yourself then perhaps this relationship  isn't going to be the right one for you after all.  Nothing in life is risk free.  

grace
Well the CDC isn't WRONG necessarily.  The best way to not get herpes from a girl with herpes is to not have sex with her.

Atlanta is the **** though, they always have an excellent selection of big name musicians comming through.  I don't think they're gonna run out of water hahaha.
Hi Grace,

My partner and I finally got a prescription for Valtrex from her doctor after he consulted with one of his associates(yes, he was not very knowledgeable to say the least). Before we got a chance to pick up the medication she had her first outbreak ever, which was rather shocking to say the least. We had sex the day prior to the outbreak, protected, and I wanted to know if there is shedding prior to an outbreak. Lastly, with the valtrex, if we eventually decide to go without protection, for reproductive purposes, would there still be the same risk of transmission. It says on some sites that condoms are really inefective against herpes transmission. Thanks
I reposted your question above because it made no sense the thread of someone else that you posted it in.

There is shedding before an ob - it can be a few hours or a few days.

valtrex when taken suppressively reduces the risk to a partner by 50%.

grace
Sorry about that, I was reading his post prior to logging into the site. I must have went back to it instead of reposting mine.