Herpes Expert Forum
Swollen Lymph Node in the Neck!

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Swollen Lymph Node in the Neck!

I visited my aunt last Friday around 8 pm. When she opened the door for me, she tried to kiss me on my cheek but I noticed that she got something horrible around her lips. Then, I tried to avoid her but my cheek touched her cheek. After that I asked her about that thing in her face and she simply said that it's herpes! I became furious at that moment. I did not know about her condition before and I have not seen anyone with herpes. After that incident I realized on Sunday 3 am that I have a swollen lymph node on one spot in my nick. It hurts a little when I turn my head to the other side. It still swollen. I'm not having any other symptoms other that. Another thing I want you to know is that I tested for STD last march before getting married and all tests was negative. Now I'm so nervous and angry. I did not even talk to my wife since then. I do not what to do.

I appreciate your advice and help.
I don't know what country you are in, but in the US, most of the population has herpes simplex virus type 1.  That causes cold sores, what you aunt has.  I don't think there is any reason for you to be upset or angry with your aunt, she probably doesn't know that her cold sores are infectious to others.  If you don't get any sores around your mouth, I would put your worries away.  The kind of contact you had with her is extremely low risk.

Terri