Herpes Community
Symptoms 20 years later?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Symptoms 20 years later?

I have been with the same woman for 20 years. Recently she got sores, went for tests and has been diagnosed with genital herpes. She was a virgin before we met and I think she has been faithful since.

I slept with a number of women prior to meeting my partner, but for the last 19 years have been faithful. I have now been tested and am also positive.

Is it possible that I passed this on to her and she is only now showing symptoms.I have never had any symptoms.Or is it more likely she has cheated on me?

Also are there any medical risks we should be aware of?

Absolutely no reason to think she cheated on you. You know you are positive and in fact had other sexual partners. Of those who have genital herpes, 90% don't even know it. You fall into that percentage no doubt.

Indeed, discordant partners can go a many years, even a lifetime without transmitting herpes.

No medical risks - you both have it so nothing you have to do.

A great resource is the Herpes Handbook, here:
http://www.westoverheights.com/genital_herpes/handbook/view_the_chapters.html
Thank you for helping to ease my mind. 20 years seemed extreme and very unlikely, but I've always trusted her. Are you fairly sure with this information?
Petal always gives great information. No reason to doubt the advice given. Really no risk since you both have it.

Hope this helps
Yes, I'm sure of this information (it is not mine, of course). You would find this affirmed by Terri Warren (Herpes expert) as well as Dr. Hook And Handsfield on the STD/HIV expert's forum.

I've become very well read and educated about herpes since diagnosed 5 years ago. And to clarify, this forum is a community forum of all sorts of folks - but it is not the doctor's forum. You can definitely come here for solid information though; the forum herpes/STD docs are supportive and aware of those of us who post and encourage posters to seek support here.

p.s. now that being said, while I'm not a doctor, I always wanted to play one on General Hospital as a kid! :-)

Feel free to ask any questions you have!

Thanks again. A few questions for you.

If my partners first outbreak happened recently, is it likely that she caught it recently?
Is it possible to catch it from hand to genital contact?
I've never had an outbreak and she has just had her first. What is the likely recurrence for her or outbreak for me?

let's go back to the beginning a bit :)

what testing did your partner have done?

what testing did you have done? I'm going to assume it was a blood test so if you can get the results to post here, I can better help to make sure you were properly tested. All I need to see are the actual numeric results - e.g. hsv1 igg 6.6 and hsv2 igg 3.2 or whatever they are.

can you have hsv2 for 20+ years and not realize it? yes you can. Can it take that long to transmit it to a partner? Yes it can. Odds are that neither of you has ever been tested for herpes prior to this to know your status.

grace
Grace - thank you for your response.

Yes the results were from blood tests. I'm not sure what the results were but I can get them.

Are there any other questions I should be asking while speaking to the Doctor?

Grace - I have been told my readings were type 1:  4.82 Titer, and Type 2 3.14 Titer if that means anything?
when your wife was tested, did she have a blood test too or did she have a lesion culture of active symptoms?  if she had a lesion culture done, can you also have her make sure that it came back specifically as hsv2+ and not just + for herpes and assumed hsv2 since it was genital?

( will comment on your blood test results I promise you )
Grace,

She had a blood test. Not really sure what here blood results were and her doctor is away next week (she won't speak to the anyone else about it). I'm not sure if it is relevant, but there were no real blisters, it was more very red and with bumps. There was also an odorless discharge. What are your thoughts on this and my results.

if she calls the clinic, one of the nurses there can read her the results for her to write down to post here. I can much better help once I see the test results - e.g. hsv1 igg 6.6 and hsv2 igg 2.3 or whatever they are.

did they test her discharge for yeast and bacterial infections too?

your hsv2 igg is a low positive and has a risk of being a false positive. it will need confirmed with further testing like a herpes WB blood test.
Grace,

I'll try and encourage my partner to ask but things are a bit tense, so I don't want to push too hard until the doctor is back.

Just for information, at the time she went to the doctors, she'd had pain for 10 days or so. By the time she went to the doctors there was no discharge.

What do you think the chance of a false positive are?

I really appreciate your help on this.
Grace - could you let me know what the difference between a Titer score and an igg score is? I was trying to do some research on what a Titer score means and it is all very confusing.
Thank you.
well usually when we talk about titer testing, it's the old fashioned way of testing for herpes that was highly inaccurate. That said, many providers still refer to igg testing as titers. gets confusing sometimes.
Thanks - is a false positive unusual?
In all honesty it can go both ways.  There is a range that is known to be a false positive.  Which is why we want to know the testing and the scores to see if shes in that range.  
Thanks - and where would my scores fall in regard to probability of a false positive?
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Herpes/low-positives---confirmatory-results/show/1097724#post_5968138  is an ongoing post we have going with lots of info about the false positive issues in it for more reading.
Grace,

My partners numbers are:
HSV 1 igG  Type Spec 5.62
HSV 2 igG  Type Spec 3.44

It also states "Positive indicates antibodies deteced to HSV-2; coinfection with HSV-1 cannot be excluded without type specific testing"

Any thoughts?
hers are low positives too. I recommend you both get herpes WB's done. If your providers use quest labs, it's test #34534.  It's send out lab for all quest labs so they might have trouble finding the test but it's the proper test number.

she is also hsv1+.
I just found out I have herpes not sure what type yet I been with my bf for 3years he never have an outbreak and neither have I till recently could I have already had herpes years ago