Herpes Community
Symptoms appear how soon ?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Symptoms appear how soon ?

I have HSV2 - have been on Valtrex from ten years - and have no symptoms at all. I had unprotected sex with a partner in November and in February she has become infected - we THINK by me. I always thought that the symptoms would show after 2-3 weeks. Is it possible that I gave her the infection? I have never - as far as I know - given anybody the Herpes Virus. She however has been told that it can take up to a year or two for symptoms to show after sexual intercourse...
Symptoms typically appear within 2-20 days, but there is a variety here.  Some people will not ever get an outbreak, others still will get one years later, etc.

AJ
of course you could have infected her. If you have unprotected sex with anyone, whether you have an outbreak or not, your putting them at risk. As auntiejessi said, the time from transmission to outbreak varies...but there is such a thing as viral shedding and even if you don't have an ob you can still pass the virus. I have to say, knowing that you have HSV2 and having unprotected sex is a bit irresponsible on your part. I'm really sorry that this happened and I hope from now on you'll ALWAYS use a condom.
Did this gal ever have a herpes blood test before to know what her status was or did she just assume that if she had it she would've known it and was never tested for it previously? when she was diagnosed how was she diagnosed? did she get typed to know if she has hsv1 or hsv2 or not?  A blood test would've been positive too had she gotten it from you 4 months previously.  Did she have sex with anyone else after you in november prior to her symptoms?

What I'm getting at is that about 50% of all presumed newly acquired infections aren't. It doesn't really matter when her symptoms presented themselves as far as when her first ob was.  Unless she was tested before she had sex with you to know her status there's no way to tell if she contracted hsv from you or had it before she met you. If she had any partners after you, regardless of condom use , she could've gotten it from them too.

grace
Hi - thanks for your input. Well - it was certainly either myself or another guy she was seeing. He has maintained that he has been for tests and it would seem that he is telling the truth and that he is clear. That herefore only leaves me on the pulpit.She has been to a porper GU clinic and has been confirmed that it is HSV2.

The reason I have been having unprotected sex is that when I was having my initial consultations years ago - the doctor told me that it was OK to have unprotected sex whilst on permanent mediaction and with no symptoms and the chances were not impossible but very very unlikely to pass on whilst on a continual dose of Valtrex. (500mg EVERY day for ten years) The other reason is that after ten years of not having heard a blip from any partner (Some girlfriends of 2 years plus) to the tune that I had caused them any problem. Yes I feel bad - very bad - of course I do - but despite the fact that Valtrex can cause Kidney damage - I always thought I would rather risk this damage to myself than to endanger anyone else health. I felt that I was being responsible with my condition.
valtrex isn't going to damage your kidneys. No worries there.

It's totally you and your partners choice whether to have unprotected sex or not. I personally don't consider it irresponible as long as both partners consent to it. It's a personal choice and you certainly are not contagious 24/7 anyways. I know in myself - I'm more concerned what I might get from someone else than I am about transmitting my herpes!!!

did this gal ever get tested for herpes before she was with you though?  Unless you were the very first person she's ever slept with - she easily could've had hsv2 prior to meeting you and just never realized it. That's very common too.  Her current partner though also needs to provide her with proof of this last herpes blood test and its results though - it's not a part of routine std testing even though m ost folks assume it is.  

grace