Herpes Community
Symptoms of herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Symptoms of herpes

Hi all
First of all let me say that the availablity of such forums is a blessing for our generation as we have to deal with something that our parents never did....a much higher risk of contracting some form of std.  I believe that first of all the schools (not to mention parents) do not adequately educate the youth of today about the risks involved with sex, not only is there a greater chance of contracting something (even without exercising extreme promiscuity) but there is a flase notion that condoms are a fool-proof method of protecting ones self.  I also believe that there are many web sites and medical forums that do not responsibly list the information regarding certain std's and may confuse anxious youth looking for answers.  I have done extensive research on herpes in particular (A because there is no cure and it has a huge stigma attached to it and B because it is so prevalent in today's sexually active population).  In my mind herpes is the second 'worst' case, the first obviously being HIV.  The irresponsible reporting on this virus I refer to lies predominantly in the symptoms as well as the protective methods against possible contraction (or passing it on).  My post is in the form of both what I have researched and an attempt to validate the information that I have gathered.  Many sites post early symptoms of herpes (prior to the outbreak of lesions or ulcers) as a burning or tingling sensation on the penis, groin or scrotum.  What they do not say, however, is that this is localised in the area that the outbreaks are likely to occur.  Red scrotum syndrome is, at present, a highly disputed condition amongst urologists and dermatologists and the causes and treatments are both highly varying and numerous.  More reliable forums have informed me that an ENTIRELY red and burning or irritated scrotum is highly unlikely to be associated with herpes and that the cause of such may be from a number of things....including anxiety about having herpes!  Bearing in mind that herpes may not show any symptoms in such individuals, the obvious fail safe method is to be tested and, again from what I have researched, the best test to take is the blood test that will indicate A.whether you have developed antibodies against the herpes virus indicating that herpes is in fact present and B. the type of herpes contracted (HSV-1 or HSV-2).  Possible reasons given for an entirely red scrotum include; fungal infection (possibly from not washing after sex or completely unrelated to sex), candida (similar to a yeast infection in women and may be passed on from female to male during sex), foliculitis (folliculitis), prostatitis, wearing underwear washed with a detergent that causes an allergic reaction (contact dermatitis), over washing in the shower (in which case the best thing to do is to use antibacterial soap or simpy wash with water only) or may even be explained by an allergic reaction to certain foods.

My question is two fold; firstly is the information that I have posted accurate as I really do not want to follow suit of some of the sites that I have read feeding people vague information that simply freaks them out even more, and if I have suffered from an irritated scrotum for many months now which was exacerbated by protected sex (10 days ago) and is still burning red hot (without any further symptoms like sores of any form or urinary pain) am I able to completely rule out herpes at least until I 100% confirm with a blood test a few weeks from now?

I am also sceduled to see a urologist to enquire about my damn scrotum that's on fire, I would just like to get an opinion on the likelihood of this symptom representing the beginning of the onset of herpes.  Seems like a lot of guys suffer from irritated scrotums.....you would think that there would be conclusive treatments by now.

Many thanks for this forum.......it is greatly needed
Well first off I don't consider herpes the 2nd worse std by no means - hepatitis and certain types of hpv are far worse.  

A red scrotum for this long isn't likely to be due to herpes.  It's usually always fungal or from one of the other causes that you listed. Have you been under any treatment for it since it's not a new issue for you - just something that got worse after the last time you had sex?

grace