Herpes Community
Telling a new partner you have HSV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Telling a new partner you have HSV

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or stories that they can share with me about thier experience of telling a new partner about their HSV status?

My infection is new, I was only diagnosed a couple months ago with genital HSV 1.  My first outbreak was very mild, which I'm thankful for, and through my doctor's conversation and the research I've done, I know a lot of the facts around recurrence, viral shedding, protection, etc.

I recently, and unexpectedly, started seeing an incredible guy who I see a lot of potential with.  He's crazy about me,as I am of him, and had no issue with me saying I wanted to take things slow.  Little does he know my reasons for this are less to do with me wanting to start this relationship in a mature fashion, and more to do with my terror over dropping this bomb on him.  What complicates the situation more is that we share a lot of common friends.

Can anyone offer some advice about how to approach this conversation?  Does anyone have any stories of thier own about how they've done so, and the reaction they've recieved?

I'm so afraid of having the talk and keeping my cool while doing it.  But also about it ending the relationship that otherwise seems like it has real potential.  Above all else, I'm petrified that he'll tell someone that I know.  I've not told anyone about this, and it would horrify me if anyone in my social circle found out.  I don't want to be known as the girl in our group with the herpes. :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.