Temporary relief of pain til next doctor visit?
Anyone know of any over the counter ointments that can be used to ease the pain of herpes?  

I'm currently taking Valtrex and pain meds.  Pain meds made me ill this morning.  Consulted doc and took dose down.  Not due to see the doc til next week.
I recommend that you call your doctor to see if you can at the very lease bump your appointment up b/f this week is over. I just hate to see you go through this over the weekend.
Sorry, I don't have any over the counter advise.
you can apply and ice pack.. it helps, and also sit in a bath, not to hot and no soap for like 15 to 20 min, and drink alot of water to delute your urine, and use wipes instead of toilet paper. and wear loose comfy clothing
Thanks for the advice.  Will do what I can.. I stumbled across a few natural supplements and remedies.  Going to take into doc and see what they say.
Dermoplast spray ( the blue can, not the red can for the genital area ) is available otc in most drugstores if you are in the US  ( you can also use solarcaine or a similar product but I'm told dermoplast stings less - it's all I've ever used down yonder ).  It's a topical anesthetic you can spray on several times a day for comfort.  You can also now buy lidocaine otc now - elamax or LMX is one such product you can find in many drugstores too ( it's more $$ than the dermoplast though ).  Topical anesthetics are nice because they numb the area of the actual blisters quickly instead of taking a pill that has systemic side effects and takes 30 minutes to start working.

You also can alternate tylenol and advil ( unless you have a medical reason not to ) to get pain relief comparable to some narcotics without the narcotic side effects. Ie tylenol 1000mg at 6am, advil 600mg at 9am, tylenol at noon, advil at 3pm etc.  Just be sure to eat a little something when you take the advil so your tummy doesn't feel yucky from it.  

soaking in the tubby is also comforting. You can throw in epsom salts or aveeno bath for comfort.

Going bottomless whenever you can is also helpful. It cuts down on friction as well as gets cool, drying air to the lesions.  

Ice packs  ( or a pack of frozen peas works well since they are squishable ) as was already mentioned.

grace
GracefromHHP has the best advice! I just got over a horrible outbreak (thanks stress). I found that ice packs are my friend. I also discovered (I am a woman) that using a squirt bottle with tepid water while I am urinating and after I urinate helps tremendously with the burning from the pee. After that I dab dry, then either me or my husband sprays me down there with Solarcaine or Lanacaine. Dermoplast works the BEST, if you can find it. It doesn't burn so bad. Solarcaine is the worst as far as burning so I don't recommend it. Lanacaine was tolerable. This numbed me up for a good hour at a time. Soaking in the tub with warm water helped too. Go without panties/underwear as much as possible to air out. Wear only cotton undies if necessary. Loose and breathable pants help.