Herpes Expert Forum
Terri: HSV on Throat or Mono?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Terri: HSV on Throat or Mono?

Hello Terri. I am a new person to this board. Thank you for helping me.

I have read some posts on here about oral herpes, but I cannot find hardly any information about throat herpes. I have had a very bad, raw, red, raspy throat for over 3 weeks. My doctor had given me an antibiolitic and it did not do anything. I have been to my doctor and and he said it no looks std related. I just don't know though, I have not ever felt a sore throat this bad or this long before, and I am scared because nothing seems to help it.  The back of my throat is inflammed so you can see little red veins, and it looks like there are little bumps of different shapes in the back of my throat only. Nothing on gums, cheeks, mouth, or roof of mouth. They are very small and are whitish/graysh color. I saw pictures on google of oral herpes, and it looks not like mine situation at all because sores are on lips and all over inside of mouth.

Only my throat is bother me.

What are throat herpes like? Does this sound like that or a mono infection, because my sore throat length has brough up mono articles on the internet. I thought since you are the expert you would be able to help me out. What can i do to make this go away? Thank you for helping me.
Your sore throat doesn't sound at all herpetic.  Herpes in the throat, by itself, usually happens with first oral infection, and I would expect accompanying lesions elsewhere on the face or lips.  Also, I wouldn't expect herpes to last this long with no chance in pattern or course.  And if your doctor thought it looked like herpes, I'm sure they would have tested for that.  We've seen a lot of sore throats in our clinic this spring that last for weeks, we assume they are viral because they get no better with antibiotics and they are stubborn!

It could be mono, I suppose, have you had other symptoms with the sore throat, and were you tested for mono?  I would eliminate herpes simplex as a cause for your sore throat.

Terri
Thank you for helping me. I get blood test results back tomorrow for mono. I am glad you think this does not look like herpes, because I would have no idea hoe i would have gotten it.

It is good to know that viral sore throats do not work with antibiotics, that would explain why my sore throat did not go away.

One last question for you Terri, can herpes look like blood blisters? Because I have two VERY small ones inside my cheek. They do not have pain at all, and I felt no tingling or pinching or anything like herpes. I get them in my mouth from time to time, but they usually pop and a teeny amount of blood comes out, and go away in 24 hours. They do not even turn into sores, and they are very small. What do you think?
No, herpes doesn't look like blood blisters.  I think a lot of people get those, including me.

Terri
how do you tell the difference between a canker sore and a herpes oral lesion under tongue or on gums?
HSV normally doesn't recur inside the mouth, but the only way to know for certain is to have a swab test done of the lesion.

Terri
My sore throat seems to be healing slowly but surely. But there's nothing to be alarmed about with a sore throat that does not go away in over 3 weeks? I still have an area that is red right before my tonsil and it has a small white dot that developed that was not there before. I feel like I am bothering my doctor because they do not seem worry...I am just concerned a health condition might be overlook. How long does a herpes sore throat go on, out of curiosity.
I've not seen a herpes sore throat, by itself, ever, so I guess I don't know the answer to your question, I'm sorry.

Terri
Thank you for being so helpful to me. I am getting results back this week for bloodwork on mono and herpes. I will only ask one more question before i end the conversation so you can help other people:

If I have had no lesions in the mouth, is it safe to assume that my sore throat does not have anything to do with herpes? My lips have been tingling, but they have done that for years and have not developed into sore. I had igg test done in November and it was negative for both type (1=.13, 2=.15). how easy is it to contract herpes through oral with nonsexual contact? Also, is it possible to outbreak without sores or lesion? I am starting to get scared because i am going to find out results.

this will be my last question. thank you for helping me.
It is possible to acquire herpes through kissing (nonsexual contact), but I think since you have no HSV 1 or HSV 2 antibody, you would be more likely to have symptoms associated with the acquistion.

Terri