Herpes Community
Test Results Not Settling My Mind

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Test Results Not Settling My Mind

Back in mid-January, I was with an old friend. We had unprotected sex and I received oral sex.  The following day, I observed a cold sore on my lip and felt flu-like symptoms.

I spoke with her regarding STDs and she assured me she was clean. I waited 4 weeks and went to visit my GP doctor. He ran HSV 1&2, syphilis., as well as normal urine tests. All tests came back negative, except HSV 1. But  I expected that since I've always had cold sores, since childhood.

I was experiencing extreme sensitivity at the tip of the penis. And on occasion, a red irritation and burning. However, definitely NOT, what. would be considered blisters and I never had sores. I saw a urologist who did a prostate exam and tested for G&C. But he did not think it was STD related. Those all came back negative. He has me going for an renal/bladder ultrasound - but I have no back pain whatsoever.  Next is to scope the uretha... Which for obvious reason.  I'd really rather not do,

I waited until 2 days shy of week 12 (day 82) and was retested by my GP.  Once again all results came back negative with the HSV IGG at 0.09.  Now, all tests we're run twice and all negative, except HSV1.

On a side note,  during this time, I was on 200mg/day of Doxy for 10 days for an unrelated style I had . While my style cleared up, my other symptoms still persist.

I am still experiencing extreme sensitive at the tip which is constant. I've read about the psychological effect, but with the visible reddening (no blisters) around the urethane and the mild burning, I don't think it's in my head.

I guess I have 3 questions...

First off, do you think it's STD related.
Secondly, is the HSV IGG at 84 days reliable
And finally...Around the same time as these symptoms started, I was diagnosed with an anal fissure. Is it possible there is a connection.... Possibly nerve related, being its all in the same general region.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise...

Nervous__Wreck!!!
Hi, testing negative 3 months post exposure would be conclusive. How long after the affair did the tip irritation start. If its on the tip it would be considered topical and topical irritations following sex could be fungal related or an injury to the tip from the act itself.
Thanks for your fast response!!!   There was no trauma or accident to the area and all the symptoms started around the time of the sexual encounter.

II guess that's why I'm having a hard time believing the test results and that its all  just "coincidental".

I did have a feeling of "dripping" urine months prior to the encounter... But there was never any actually dripping or discharge.

If it is fungal, wouldn't that high dose of Doxy that i was on kill the fungus? I guess the next stop is a dermatologist.

Thanks again for your time!!!
Hi, fungas needs antifungal cream. If your having a dripping prior then you need to have a prostate exam. The urethra travels through the prostate and when its enlarged it cuts off normal urine flow.
No,  the prostrate is "fine"... It's been checked 3 times (once by urologist and twice by the proctologist - during anal fissure exam).  

I guess what  I'm concerned with is an HSV 2 "False Negative".  I had the 2 tests done at 4 weeks & again at 12 weeks. But still feel there is "something" going on...
I guess I'm a little unsure why the IGG HSV2 results were 0.09 and not 0.00, if its "negative"?  Why is anything being detected, even if its as low as 0.09?
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers