Herpes Community
Test at 12 weeks vs. 16 weeks

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Test at 12 weeks vs. 16 weeks

I had a possible exposure to hsv 2 (protected vaginal / unprotected oral) and would like to get tested at 12 weeks. Should I consider a negative result at 12 weeks conclusive or will I have to wait until week 16 for it to be conclusive?  I do not know the STD status of my previous partner and I have not shown any of the classical symptoms. Let me know what you think is best.
testing at 12 weeks is fine. it was protected sex so the overall risk was very low anyways.

grace
Thanks Grace.  All of your help on this forum is greatly appreciated.
Grace thanks again for your help.  I wanted to let you know that I got tested at 82 days post exposure and all tests came back negative.  Based on this I think I can assume I am free of STD's.  I think it is time for me too move on. Thank the lord.  

PS*  your support on this forum helps so many people and I hope everyone is as grateful as I am for it.  
congrats :)
Hi all,

I just found out that I was exposed to HSV2 from a woman I was with about 3.5 months ago.  I was afraid this was the case as the woman I slept with has been know to be very promiscuous (involved in swinging lifestyle).  I regret taking the risk as I am generally a careful person.  I had protected vaginal sex and received unprotected oral sex from her.  I have been tested for all stds and was clean at 9 weeks and 82 days (just shy of 12 weeks) post exposure.  As for the herpes tests, I had the following kinds

9 weeks - Herpeselect IGG 1/2 - Negative (Quest Labs)

82 days (shy of 12 weeks) - Capita IGG 1/2 - Negative (Labcorp)

Here are my questions

1) Should I consider my negative tests at 9 and 12 weeks conclusive and move on?  

2) If they are not conclusive what should be my next step?  Another IGG at 16 weeks or a WB at 16 weeks?

* I had another post on this forum that Grace helped me on, but this was before I knew the woman I was with was positive for HSV2.  I do not me to clog up these boards with the same questions, but the situation has changed a bit now that I know she was HSV2 +.  

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.  
dear absolutely nothing about your situation has changed just because you now know that this partner has hsv2. the answers are all still the exact same.
So I should consider my results from 82 days post exposure coclusive and move on? In your oppinion no further testing is needed? Thanks for the help.
time to move past the idea of herpes - no more testing , no more worrying!!!
Hi Grace,

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but just one more thing I would like your opinion on.

Several weeks ago I had 2 days of intermittent pains in the side of my penis near the head, followed by  a very red patch about the size of a pencil eraser in the same area.  No blisters showed up, but it turned into a small open raw patch in one day.  The next day it was starting to heal and by day 4 it was totally closed up.  The redness went away around day 6.  I did not go to a doctor for a swab because I was traveling.  This was at about 9 weeks after exposure.  I had a test as soon as I got home which was about 9.5 weeks post exposure(herpeselect Igg).  Then again at 12 weeks (capitia Igg).  I have questions regarding this.

1) I have read that you should really wait to 16 weeks post exposure for a conclusive result from the capita igg as opposed to 12 weeks for the herpeselect.  Should i trust my 12 week result from capita? Do both of these tests behave the same or is the capita less reliable?

2) Should this redness show up again would it be worth going to a doctor to get it swabbed?

*I really don't mean to obsess about this.  It is just that I met a woman that I really like and want to be sure that I do not have anything before we become intimate.  We have a very open relationship thus far and she is very appreciative that I am concerned for her health as well as mine.    

should it reoccur of course try to be seen and get it looked at - not because of a chance of herpes but more so because it's something going on so it's helpful to know what it is.

really not worth repeatedly testing. you run the risk of a false positive result which leads to even more testing to confirm that it's a false positive.