Herpes Community
Test positive for HSV 1 and 2 if you had shingles?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Recently my boyfriend found a dime sized sore on his upper left buttocks. He said that it had happened before but that it never hurt and he didn't think anything of it. I told him that he needed to get it checked out. His blood work came back and he tested positive for HSV1 and HSV2. He has never had a spot or outbreak anywhere else.

I went to my doctor to make sure that I hadn't been infected and they told me that I was fine but that it was very strange that if it were to be herpes it would be in that location, and never have been anywhere else. He also told me that blood tests can mean nothing, all it means is that at some point in his life he encountered the virus. It doesn't mean that he can nessisarily carry it and pass it on.

My boyfriend just told me that when he was about 10 years old he had shingles and we've read some information that said it could make you test positive for herpes. I would just like a little more information on this with all these things considered. I want to know what kind of a risk I am at, or the risk of him passing it if it is infact just HSV2. Any info will help, thanks so much!
Your bf's symptoms are pretty typical for genital herpes. I betcha if he got a lesion culture of the next time he got one it would be hsv2+.  Herpes ob's can occur anywhere in the entire boxer short area. When he has an ob, he should be avoiding sex even though it's not on his actual genital area. The virus is most likely shedding from the anogenital area at the same time.  

If you test + for herpes on the blood tests then indeed you are infected and indeed you can transmit the virus to your partner.  I'm not sure why your doctor told you what they did.  Have you had a type specific herpes igg blood test yourself or did your doctor just do a visual exam and decide you didn't have either hsv1 or hsv2 either orally or genitally?

The current igg blood tests will not be falsely positive due to a history of chicken pox.  The older non-specific herpes igg blood tests have that issue as does the igm herpes blood test which is why we don't encourage the use of either.

I encourage you both to take the time to read the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com together and then decide what precautions, if any you want to take together.

grace
Hi there, I have the same spot that I always got in the same area.  It's always on my left side just at the top of my buttock/lower back.  It is so hard to find any information on this.  I have to tell any new boyfriend that I have Herpes, but yet...it isn't in the genital area.  I need to know how much risk it is to a new partner?  I have had past boyfriends and told them and they never ever contracted herpes from me.  Is there any other people out there, with the same area of infection???
This is still genital herpes. there is nothing different you do than you would if you had ob's on the actual genitals. You should still take the same precautions.  You still also shed the virus from the anogenital area in between obvious lesions and with lesions.

The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com has terrific info on herpes as well as info on how to talk to a partner about it.  

grace