My boyfriend's doctor told him that he tested positive for herpes. He's never had any symptoms and neither have I. The doctor did not give him any test numbers or anything and I don't know what kind of test he had. We would like to have a child. What do you recommend that we do? Thanks
I suggest that both of you get tested as soon as possible to see if both of you have it. If both of you do, no precautions need to be taken to prevent transmission, but you might want to avoid sex for comfort when you have outbreaks.
Does he have HSV-1 or HSV-2?
I think your boyfriend should get the test results (if he can't then he should get tested again) and ask grace to interpret the results because I am unfamiliar with test result numbers. Also, tests do miss about 1 every 10 herpes infections, so this could be applicable here.
If you're trying to avoid contracting the virus while conceiving then your partner needs to get on antiviral medication, which will reduce shedding and outbreaks. If he has HSV-2, it cuts the shedding rate of approximately 20% +/- ~2% in half. Since you cannot have protected sex and conceive a child then your risk will be a little higher. He needs to avoid having sex with you during an outbreak and when he feels an outbreak coming on. When he recognizes his symptoms and by refraining from sex during an outbreak, you are unlikely to catch HSV.
If you do catch HSV, the chance of your child catching herpes through birth is 1 in 3,000 at worst. Some experts suggest that it's 1 in 5,000, 1 in 10,000, but I like to use the lowest number to give you an idea. The chances are real low of a baby contracting this if you don't have an obvious outbreak, and if you do, a c-section will be performed to protect the baby. This is a common thing because approximately 20-25% of pregnant women have genital herpes. Feel free to ask more questions.
The last time we had unprotected sex was a few days ago. He just got the results. Should I get tested now? We are waiting for his doctor to give us the particulars of his test. I don't know what kind of test he had or the results yet. The doctor only told him that he has hsv and recommended suppressive medication to prevent shedding. Neither of us have had symptoms. Any help or guidance you can provide would be great. Thx
Since neither you nor your boyfriend has had any obvious symptoms, as stated in your original post and reiterated in your second post, you both should be tested if you haven't been tested for herpes prior to this relationship. He could have given this to you, you could have given this to him, or it could be from a completely different source.
He had an Igg test for hsv 1and/or 2. It reads "22.8 high". I don't know whether it is hsv 1 or 2 that he has. He is going to get retested. His results seemed unclear to me but the doctor prescribed valcor. He has had no symptoms and neither have I. We really want to have a child and he doesnt want to infect me.
He needs to get a type specific Igg test to know if he has HSV-1 or HSV-2. Around a quarter of the adult population carries HSV-2 while 50-80% carries HSV-1.
Even if he does have HSV-2, it really shouldn't be much to worry about. You have an extremely, extremely rare chance of infecting your baby (stats are in my first post), and like I said, approximately 20-25% of pregnant women have genital herpes.
There is no guarantee that you won't become infected while conceiving, but if it happens it shouldn't be much of a big deal. Herpes has a stigma to it which is ridiculous and the bark is much worse than the bite. This is the least harmful STD out of them all by far, and is merely a skin condition that is manageable.
No need to get ahead of ourselves as I seem to be, but I wanted to reassure you that regardless of the situation, you will be ok, and this will be a minor inconvenience to you in comparison to other things in life (finances, trust, respect) if it happens.
When you get the test results, feel free to post them in this thread, and grace will be able to interpret them. Until then, feel free to ask any other questions, and I'd be happy to answer them and alleviate your concerns.
The testing had had done was non-type specific herpes igg blood testing. it was the wrong testing to have done :( You really at this point don't know anything about his herpes status and there certainly isn't any reason for him to be on medication at this point.
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much. A few questions -- is it possible that he is hsv negative even if this test says 22.8 high?? The designation of "high" kind of scares me. If this test that he got is totally unreliable why was it administered? It was an Igg test from labcorp. Is it totally bogus? Should we disregard it??
It is unlikely that he is negative given that his result's numerical value was high. However, HSV tests are incorrect a tenth of the time, so this could be applicable here. The test was administered due simply to the notion that some doctors are not thoroughly educated on STDs especially herpes. Another reason could have been that this was the only test they had available to administer. Has your boyfriend been a patient of this particular physician for a long time or is the doctor relatively new?
The test is not 100% bogus, but it only gives you half of the answer (tells you that he has herpes, but does not specify which type). Whenever you are able to, I strongly suggest getting the type specific Igg to arrive at a conclusion and what precautions need to be taken. HSV-1 has a shedding rate of about 3%/year while HSV-2 has a shedding rate of over 15-30%/year. If he does have HSV-1 then he probably won't need to take any medication because asymptomatic shedding of genital HSV-1 is rare.
If the type specific test shows that he's positive for HSV-1, but not HSV-2 then it would be reasonable to conclude that his HSV-1 infection is oral due to his lack of symptoms. If it is HSV-2, it is almost always genitally.
Here's a great ebook that's free by herpes expert Terri Warren, which provides you with loads of information including pregnancy.
Thanks. He is going to get the type specific test but since the doctor recommended valcor and since it says "high" my sinking feeling is that he has hsv 2, which I was hoping he didn't. His doctor is a cardiologist with not much herpes experience. I'm so afraid that I've contracted it especially because his diagnosis is high, but I don't want to end the relationship. He's started taking the suppressive medication to protect me.
I'm not sure where castello came up with some of that info - it's incorrect.
the combined test could be reflecting a hsv1 infection, a hsv2 infection, both or even neither. It often picks up on other viral infections too which is also part of why we don't recommend its use. why is it still offered? it's a money maker for the lab more than anything and many providers aren't up to date on herpes testing, like your partner's provider and still order it. your partners provider giving him suppressive therapy based on that test is actually malpractice :(
yes indeed you too should seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing. you two can't make decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what.
should you end this relationship? herpes is NEVER a reason to end a relationship!! At this point since this can of worms was opened, you have to both follow up through and get better answers. why did a cardiologist order up this testing anyways?
That's been his primary care physician for years but now at my recommendation he is getting another doctor and getting type specific testing. This is important to me. I don't want to get herpes but I love him and we want a child. Thanks for your help.
they don't provide any helpful info if positive - you don't know if you have hsv1, hsv2 or neither so they aren't worth drawing since 60% of adults will automatically test + on them due to hsv1 oral infections.
get the right testing for you both so you can get the information you need to make educated decisions about what precautions to take from this point forward.
How long should I wait to be tested. I've read 3 months. Do I really need to wait that long? I've had no bumps or sores. Just some slight pain in my pelvis area. He has asked for the type specific test also.
I tested negative fir hsv 1 and 2. He tested negative for 1 and positive for 2 with an Igg number of 2.2. How do you recommend that we decrease the risk of me contracting it. I don't want to end the relationship and we want a child. Thanks.
his hsv2 igg is a low positive and will need confirmed with further testing. we recommend seeking out the herpes WB to confirm his status. no reason for antivirals at this point until you've confirmed that indeed he does have hsv2.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.