Herpes Expert Forum
Test results

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Test results

I have posted in the other forum but just have a few questions. The left side of my penis the shaft has been very dry and get cracks in the folds which heal up. I do masterbate frequently and use lotion which I now feel aggravate this condition.  Also with some itching at the underside of the base of my penis. About 10 days ago I had protected sex including oral. We did rub on each other during foreplay unprotected which was a little rough as she had not shaved recently. Within 4 days the usual irritation came back I started with different creams hydrcortisone, lotions and neosporin and the areas kept getting worse swollen along the cracks. I have not really noticed any new areas just everything is more inflamed than normal including the base of my penis. I got scared and did online testing thru Lab Corp my results are HSV 1 Igc type specific was negative
HSV 2 type specific was negative. The HSV, Igm I/II combination was high at 1.72. I have no real symptoms my nodes were alittle swollen but I have also had a cold. I have a history of Lyme disease and last year and get allergy shots weekly. I saw a arnp at a dermatology practice who said I had gonnerhea I have no drainage at all and gave me a shot of rocephin. I am urinating fine and have no other difficluties. I am just alittle cofused maybe you can shed some light on this and I have learned my lesson.
Tags: scared
I'm very confused as well.  Why were you treated for gonorrhea?  The cracking on your penis skin?  That is totally not a symptom of gonorrhea.  Did you have some lab tests sent out that were positive for gonorrhea?  This puzzles me greatly.

Your penis skin issues do not sound like herpes to me and the fact that your IgG tests came back negative is very reassuring.  I'm wondering - how long have you had the symptoms of cracking on your penis?  Has that been going on for months or days or weeks?  

I would ignore the IgM test at this point.

Terri
Ok I have had the dryness on my penis for months. It also cracks and scabs over. Heals with otc ointment. This is all on the left side of my penis. I believe it could have started from using different lotions while masterbating (masturbating) very hard or rough sex. My penis hangs also curves to the left. I live in the south where it is very humid and hot and my job keeps me sweating. I also have itching and burning at the base of my penis and  have scratched it raw. I Just became scared because this occurred after alot of poor judgement on my part. I believe I used the wrong otc ointments and lotions to try and heal it and it became VERY inflammed. I saw a PA at a derm practice he said gonnorhea (Gonorrhea) with no lab tests. He also said no herpes and gave me a lotion and ketoconazole 2% and put me on Doxycicline 14 day course and a shot of rocephin. It seems to be gettin alittle better it has been a week. I do sweat alot and should I try to keep it dry. I am in the medical field and with the internet and my mind wondering I lat it get the best of me with worry. I appreciate your advice and Just wanted to mke sure I am on the right track.
I do think you are on the right track.  I have no clue at all about why you would have been treated for gonorrhea and then followed for 14 days with Doxy.  That, to me, sounds a little crazy, if you had no lab testing done at all.

Terri
Thanks I really appreciate the reply. It has put my mind at ease. Do you feel any more testing is required? I spoke to a friend of a friend who said she told she was negative for stds 4 months ago. I have no other symptoms other than what I have told you. Again THANK YOU for your replies.
When she says she was negative four months ago, I would ask her to clarify for which specific STDs.  Not everyone includes herpes testing in their STD screen panel.  I seriously doubt that you have herpes, given your negative antibody test and a very limited contact with this person, but it would be nice to know for sure she doesn't have herpes, would you agree?

Terri
It came to me through a friend who said they were tested together and yes herpes was included. She was told it was negative. Thanks again for your reply.
Also it appears that after 1 week on the above mentioned creams that I am clearing up. It is about 16 days after my encounter. Just an fyi Thanks again.
You're welcome

Terri