Herpes Community
Test results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Test results

Dear Dr
  I have a question regarding a herpes test.  I question the positive HSV 2 result I was given. I was tested in July of 2010 for herpes antibodies by a doctor taking my blood. My blood was then sent to LabCorp and the results show a .091 for HSV 1 IgG. The result for HSV 2 IgG showed 2.46. The test states that 1.09 and above is positive. I have been told that because of this one test that I am negative for HSV 1 and positive for HSV 2. I have never had an outbreak and am still shocked by the supposed positive results.
My wife of 5 years, that I have a child with, took a blood test also and her test came back negative for both HSV 1 & 2. I have been doing some research and I have now found numerous expert doctors that states that a Blood serologic test has to be over 3.5 to truly be considered positive by a Serology antibody blood test. By 3.5 being needed to be truly positive and the 2.46 test result I was given on my test they should have never said I was positive for HSV 2. False positives are a very common problem and I truly believe that I do not have herpes. I have truly only had sex with my wife since 2007 and my wife’s negative HSV 1 & 2 test results further backs up my opinion that the test was a false positive. I would like your expert opinion on whether I have HSV 2 herpes or not. Also by needing a 3.5 to truly be positive why do labs mislead people by stating they are positive when in fact I wasn’t really close to be able to truly be called positive for herpes? Is the 3.5 number that is needed for a true positive result from new advances that have been made since 2010?
Thank you for your time and expert opinion in this important matter.
Hi, and value below 3 needs retesting. Low positive are either a false positive or a recent infection but do lean towards the false positive and retest in one month. You can do the biokit which is simple and hsv2 specific.
Thanks that is what I thought. Just don't understand why they tell people with a below 3 that they are positive and not just saying the test was not conclusive you need retested. What is your thoughts on this?
They are not learned about herpes.