Herpes Community
Testing Question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Testing Question

Hi Terri,

I have a question about a seemingly contradictory set of HSV test results I recently received.  I'll preface this by saying that I went to the doctor because of itching and general irritation (though no lesions or sores) mostly in my genital area and intermittent tingling and urination irritation in my urethra mostly at the tip of my penis.  My symptoms day-to-day symptoms have been changeable but some combination of the above has been occurring for the better part of a month have only just abated.  I have had no sexual partners for more than 12 months.  

The STD panel was clear except for the HSV igg 1 & 2 tests, both of which came back positive: HSV 1 (5.754) and HSV 2 (1.926).  (I fully expected the HSV 1 result because I've suffered from the occasional cold sore for years.)

Because of the low HSV 2 index value I asked my primary care physician to order a second set of tests (the original lab was done at a same-day std clinic).  The results this time were HSV 1 IGG Herpeselect AB: 0.35 (interpretation negative) and HSV 2 IGG Herpeselect AB: 0.04 (Interpretation Negative).  The IGM screens for both were simply listed "negative".

I subsequently determined that the first panel was a Wampole IGG test, which I understand to be subject to more errors than the Herpeselect protocol.

That being said, however, I don't think I'm being paranoid in looking askance at the negative Herpeselect HSV 1 test result in the face of my history of cold sores.  

Does the above suggest to you that the herpeselect HSV 2 result may be suspect as well?

At this point my doctor is unwilling to discuss the matter further, deeming me definitively negative, so I thought I'd ask here whether you would recommend further testing?

Thank you for your time.
this isn't Terri's forum. you have to pay to post to her.

even the best blood tests miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. not too unusual that your 2nd testing didn't detect it. You already know you have hsv1 orally so no reason to continue testing for it or to doubt that you have it either.

no reason to think your 2nd negative results are wrong just because the hsv1 results are either. they are 2 different tests and have 2 different antigens.

grace
Thank you for the response, Grace.