Herpes Expert Forum
Think I bit my tongue, but unsure if herpes or not

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

I was in Costa Rica with a friend last week, and we went horseback riding through a farm together.  We also did a zipline. Both activities were very bouncy, and when I woke up the next day, it felt like i had bitten up my tongue pretty bad.  When I pressed my teeth lightly into my tongue, it hurt right there, leading me to believe that i actually had bitten my tongue.

As I am constantly paranoid about std's, I only looked at the irritated side of my tongue briefly, not wanting to scare myself into thinking I had something.  The side of my tongue looked red and irritated, but I didn't notice any blisters or anything. I only looked at it for a second though.

The pain cleared up in 3 days and my tongue is now back to normal. About a week has past since the initial days of pain, and no evidence remains or any marks or anything. Now I am just worried that i did not look at it for long enough.

From what I have read, there would still be some pain or evidence of blisters a week later, like some crusty marks or something, but i am not sure.

I need some help on this one, every little dot on my tongue is starting to look sinister
I suppose they could be confused.  The best way to sort that out would be to have a dentist evaluate the bump on your lip.

Terri
there is a little purple bump on that side of my tongue that i did notice before either. It is just a small bump and doesn't really look like it was at any time a blister.

As I am always noticing new things about my skin and body now, I'm not really sure if its significant, but i just thought id mention it.
can i expect an answer to this during the weekend?  I have a date with a very attractive girl next week, and I am a little nervous about going to it with this on my mind.

There are a few bumps on the side of my tongue, and I could post pictures if it would be helpful.

But from reading different sites, I think the places where blisters were leave pitted red spots on the tongue after they heal up. The bumps i have on the back and right side of my tongue are purplish, dont hurt, and look like the tongue has just been overcompensating for trauma that occurred from biting the tongue.

Basically what I want to know is if I'm worrying for no reason. Is it possible to confuse an initial herpes outbreak with biting your tongue? Or did I bite my tongue riding the horse, and now I'm working myself up about it,

I just recently tested negative for herpes, but I have kissed two girls since then so im just a little worried
Nothing that you have described sounds like herpes to me.  
Everyone has bumps on the sides of their tongues, of one kind or another.  And everyone has bumps on their tongues, too.  They are taste buds.  
I do believe you are worrying for no reason, yes.  
I don't know what you did to your tongue, but honestly, I think if you had brand new herpes, you would more likely have sores around the mouth, not just on the tongue.  
Do you most often worry like this about acquiring an STD?

Terri
I do often worry about this.  I dont think I had OCD, because I never had it before. But recently my anxiety about everything has just been getting worse and worse.

Yesterday I got a little hard bump on the inside of my lip. This morning it was flat, and it feels like it has been popped. It looks like just a mucocele, it doesn't hurt that much, just the tiniest little bit.  I looked up pictures, and it looks just like all the pictures of small mucoceles. But I can't help but worry about it.

Are the two often confused with each other? Mucoceles and herpes?  Is this just another case of me worrying for no reason?

No they don't look anything alike.

Terri