Herpes Community
Tingling on and off, could it be herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hello, I'm a 24 year old male, and 3 months ago I made stupid decision having protected sex with a prostitute in amsterdam, just basic one position. (I put a whole bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide on my groin right after the encounter, which may or may not have something to do with the effects afterward)..... For a whole month and a half after this exposure in the groin area, to be specific: right side of the scrotum and right crease, and along my inner thigh, the skin felt like it was burning and on and off tingling.. I used coconut oil for a week, and continued lotrimin af for a month, and all symptoms went away for 3 weeks. I was directed by my doctor to continue lotrimin.

I continued to use lotrimin af, but last monday the odd tingling came back, with a slight burning feeling in the crease.. At least the testicles are okay this time around.. But I'm worried that it's happening all over again. It's lasted a week, and I am panicking. Are these possible symptoms of herpes? It's been 3 months since exposure and I will get tested. I last tested at the 6 week mark with the captia elisa test, Negative for both hsv 1 and 2... How concerned of herpes should I be? and if not herpes, what could be causing this? I also feel fatigued but I think thats from the sleep that I've been losing over this.

My doctor doesnt see anything wrong, and I'm not sure what else to look for, so all opinions are welcome. Thank you.
Hi, tingling symptoms for a prodrome sign dont come and go, after the tingling a sore would appear. There are situations with tingling that no sore develops and is called an aborted outbreak but dosent happen that often. What your describing dont appear herpes related.
Whats causing it? Tingling other than herpes prodrome is a sign of a pinched nerve.
Thanks. It's interesting you bring pinched nerve up. Now I recall, when the tingling symptoms first appeared 3 months ago, I was trying to play basketball but couldn't jump at all, had a sharp pain in my upper thighs/groin. Hsv wouldn't cause symptoms like that right?.. I'm also physically active so its possible that I re-injured it... I'm wondering now, which nerve could be the one that's pinched, that would cause tingling specifically in the scrotum.
Either way, I do plan to re-test for hsv1&2 at the 12 week mark. Which is exactly tomorrow. Is a negative at 12 weeks conclusive enough? Thanks.
Yes 12 weeks is conclusive. You can also tear a nerve if its in your groin area and that would tingle also from basket ball.
Hello Life360. Wanted to update that I tested NEGATIVE for hsv 1 and 2 at the 12 week mark.. Just want to say thank you very much for your help throughout, helped keep me calm and less stressed about it. God Bless!!

I do have those weird symptoms of tingling, and dry skin still. Could be the pinched nerve or even just irritation that my mind focused in on.. But I guess it is time to put that herpes fear to rest now? Its almost surreal, I had myself that convinced and horrified reading things on the internet.
Thats good news and thanks for saying nice things.
Life360
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers