Herpes Community
Told girlfriend What now?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Told girlfriend What now?

Hi.  First time posting and hope someone can help.  I recently starting dating a girl who is great.  When I realized things were getting serious I had to break down and tell her I have HSV-2.  I was terrified by what her response might be.  To my suprise she was very understanding and willing to work with me.  We have done some research but don't know what the best and safest route to take is.  At the current time I do not have health insurence and get around 8-10 outbreaks a year.  They are not bad but it is pretty consistant.  I would like to take a daily treatment to keep things in check but don't really know where to go or what the cost might be.  This woman is great and I would never want to put her in my situation but don't want to lose her either.  Thank you in advance.
Hi Rc you should consult a specialist about this and am sure you will find the best treatment.
I do find one thing interesting, you did not tell her you had herpes and possibly exposed her and at the end you say you would never want to put her in your situation. You might want to write this in a different way an post it on the relationship forum because i think there are some real issues here.
Maybe it came out wrong. We have not done anything sexual. She wanted to but I told her I couldn't. I would never put anyone in that situation. My question is how do I find a specialist since I do not have insurance. Thank you
Hi Rc and sorry, yes it did come out wrong. just hang around here and im sure youll get some good responses. You really had me worried.
Thanks for being a good human being and do wish you the best. Sounds like you got a good girl here.
certainly daily suppressive therapy is a terrific idea for you! You are having ob's frequently as well as you have a new partner. Has she been tested yet to know her own status?  Odds are she's never been tested for herpes so she'll need to seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing to see what she has. How were you originally diagnosed?

Will daily suppressive therapy be expensive? Not really. Even without insurance you can get acyclovir 400mg twice a day for less than $20/month. You can also look into the gsk bridges to access program too. I believe your medical provider needs to enroll you in it but you can get valtrex at a free or reduced price through the program depending on your income.  Do you have a regular doctor you can give a call about all of this?

grace