Transmission Rates
Hi, I have been dating my GF for about 2 months. She has HSV 2 for 16 years and says she hasnt had an outbreak this year.  We have not had intercourse yet because I am afraid to have sex with her out of fear of contracting the disease.  She is not on suppressive therapy, she says she doesnt like taking the meds.  I have heard that it is more difficult for a man to contract the virus from an infected female, is this correct?  I have tried to find transmittal rates, but the only ones I have found are when suppressive therapy is involved.  Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  I am close to having sex with her, but still feel a little uneasy.  Whenever we do, I will use condoms, but I understand that this is only 30-40% effective.  Any advice anyone can give is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Here are odds based on female to male transmission of genital herpes. It is a lesser risk than the male to female rate of transmission, but does not include condoms only with no suppressive therapy. Anti-virals are very safe with little to minor side effects - she may want to speak to her medical provider about it.

FEMALE TO MALE RATE OF TRANSMISSION (HSV2 ONLY STATS IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR HSV1)

If you have 100 couples where the female has HSV2 but not the male (these figures are over a year) the odds of female to male transmission are, if you do nothing other than avoid sex during an outbreak, 4 men out of a 100 will get herpes in a year, or 4%. If you do go on a suppressive therapy then it drops to 2 men out of a 100 in a year, or 2%. And if you use suppressive and a condom the chances are 1 man out of a 100 will get herpes in one year or 1%.

The Valtrex and transmission study stats are based on having sex 2 times/week.
Where did you get this information? From what I remember from planned parenthood (cannot find online) the stats were: no OutBreak+ no condoms=10% annually, no OB + condoms=5%, no OB + condoms + valtrex= 2.5% (non sex-specified)

I am a woman with hsv1&2 trying to piece together an information packet-type thing for potential suitors toake research easier on them. I am also in the midst of creating an invention I believe will help reduce the risks of transmission even further.
please start your own post - thanks!

fyi the info petal quoted comes from the free herpes handbook we recommend in our read before posting post.

grace