Herpes Community
Transmission risk with no history of symptoms?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Female partner revealed to me that she tested positive for HSV-1 antibodies at some point in the past (over a year, I think), but has never had any symptoms, possibly excepting something sore/lesion-like in her nose a long time ago. I've read that asymptomatic shedding occurs something like 3-6% of the time. Does historical lack of symptoms have anything to do with the rate of shedding, or the viability of the viruses that do shed, or with overall transmission risk to uninfected partners?

For that matter, reading that 60-90% of adults have HSV-1 makes me think it's unlikely I'm actually uninfected. I don't have medical coverage or a primary care physician; where can I get a less expensive IgG or other herpes test?
Call around and ask. if you can find what's known as a 'draw station' near you, typically you just pay for the test(s) you want and don't have to pay extra for a doctor's appointment/exam which does save you some money.  Some planned parenthoods do offer the type specific testing, some don't.  

if you are in the US, www.healthcheckusa.com and www.tstd.org are both reputable online sources to check out. Typically it's around $100 for a herpes igg blood test through them both.  

grace