Herpes Expert Forum
Transmission through urine
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Transmission through urine

I have a strange question- can herpes be transferred through urine? I am pregnant and had, errrrr..., loss of bladder control after sneezing this morning. Urine did go down my legs in the restroom. I have had HSV-2 for over 3 years and have 2 children at home. I quickly jumped in the shower and washed my legs with soap and water, and the kids did not have contact with anything. I do not have an outbreak currently and am taking Valtrex 500 mg daily. I am wondering if I could have transferred HSV to my legs in this fashion and if urine can cause HSV to be transmitted. I am mostly worried about possibly having this on my legs now and somehow giving this to my children. Thank you so much for your help!

55646_tn?1263664409
No, no worries about transmitting HSV 2 through urine.  You would not transfer HSV 2 to your legs.  first of all, the virus is in the nerves that supply the thigh area already  and second, once you have HSV 2 in one nerve group, it is highly unlikely that it would be acquired in a new nerve group (like the rest of the leg).  

I would say there is absolutely no worries here at all for transmission to a new area of the body or to your children.

Terri
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
55646_tn?1263664409
Terri Warren, RN, Adult Nurse Pr...Blank
Westover Heights Clinic
Portland, OR
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker