Herpes Expert Forum
Transmission through urine

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Transmission through urine

I have a strange question- can herpes be transferred through urine? I am pregnant and had, errrrr..., loss of bladder control after sneezing this morning. Urine did go down my legs in the restroom. I have had HSV-2 for over 3 years and have 2 children at home. I quickly jumped in the shower and washed my legs with soap and water, and the kids did not have contact with anything. I do not have an outbreak currently and am taking Valtrex 500 mg daily. I am wondering if I could have transferred HSV to my legs in this fashion and if urine can cause HSV to be transmitted. I am mostly worried about possibly having this on my legs now and somehow giving this to my children. Thank you so much for your help!

No, no worries about transmitting HSV 2 through urine.  You would not transfer HSV 2 to your legs.  first of all, the virus is in the nerves that supply the thigh area already  and second, once you have HSV 2 in one nerve group, it is highly unlikely that it would be acquired in a new nerve group (like the rest of the leg).  

I would say there is absolutely no worries here at all for transmission to a new area of the body or to your children.

Terri