Herpes Expert Forum
Two Equivocal Herpes 2 Results

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Two Equivocal Herpes 2 Results

Regards,
I had a one -time semi-protected encounter with an AMP (saran wrap).  I used a reputable online service to get a STD battery of tests and everything came back negative except for the Herpes 2 which had an equivocal value of 0.95 (Herpeselect test through Quest).  The testing was done at the 3 week mark.  After reading these forums and receiving  some better information on testing, I waited and retested using the same service at the 12 week mark from encounter.  The results came back 1.02; still equivocal.  I realize the numbers between the tests don't necessarily correlate but do I need to do a Western Block test for a definitive call or do 2 equivocal results mean I should call this a negative and quit worrying?  I have not seen or experienced any symptoms on a daily self-examination basis.  Also, my Herpes 1 results were both negative.  Thank you for your help.

Juststeve
This is difficult.  Have you taken any antiherpes medication at any time?  
If you were my patient, I think my recommendation would be to get a western blot at 16 weeks.  You could also just do another ELISA, but I'm afraid that could be equivocal again and you'd be just ordering a western blot at that time.  

If I had to guess I would say you are not infected, but with these values coming up slightly, I couldn't say that for certain.  

Some of this will be how comfortable you can be with a bit of unknown information.  What are you thoughts?

Terri
Obviously, I meant Western Blot not Block.  Would a 3rd Herpeselect at the 16 week mark serve any purpose?  Thanks.
No, I have never taken any antiherpes medication at any time in the past.  I guess the problem is the unknown.  I have read so much forum material between MedHelp and other sites.  The consensus seems to be that 2 equivocal results should be considered negative, but I am a person that probably can't live with that in the end.  I need to have a definitive closure to this so I can move on.  In 3 weeks I will be at 16 weeks from encounter.  I think the WB is probably the way to go.   How can gain access to this testing remotely?  Thanks again for your help.  
You can either order a test kit from the University of Washington, then have your own health care provider draw the blood and ship it or our office can order the test for you.  You would need to become a phone patient of our clinic.

Terri