Herpes Expert Forum
Unclear symptoms

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Unclear symptoms
Hello, I have a few questions for you. Thanks in advance. Here is a little background.. I was in a mutually monogamous relationship for 1.5 years (ended in August 09). I was tested for all STD's 2 or 3 times over this period of time, all negative. On September 25th, I had a sexual encounter (NOT intercourse) with a male, that of which I was nervous about at the time and asked about herpes at that time too. This encounter was naked rubbing, no penetration, I was told that while possible, my risk was low for herpes, especially with no appearance of sores on him, and I did not notice anything abnormal on me 2-20 days after this situation so I somewhat put it behind me. Now, I have a new partner who assures me he is STD free (tested). While on the 3rd or 4th day of menstruation this past week, I started getting a little irritated, which I thought was from tampons so I stopped wearing one. It was minor, general itching which came and went, not the severe itching I've experienced in the past with yeast. I told my ob-gyn on thursday (2 days after) and she said she didnt see anything abnormal (discharge or lesions). Friday night, I had intercourse for the first time since that happened, there was a little bit of pain/discomfort during intercourse, next day somewhat fishy odor but no real substantial discharge. I still feel a little irritated still near vaginal opening but nothing severe. Does this sound like an STD, BV or yeast? Can I rule out that if it's an STD, its not from the Sept 25th naked rubbing of genital areas or no? My only other guess is that I am just a little sore from not having intercourse for a week or two. Thanks.
The naked rubbing sounds very low risk to me.  And the irritation is pretty non-specific, nothing that worries me very much.
However, I would encourage you to get copies of your STD screens from the past and see if they actually did testing for herpes.  Often, herpes testing is left out of STD screens
Also, the bikini line bump doesn't sound worrisome to me.  Lots of people get those bumps that are probably some kind of irritation from underwear.  
But, again, if you think you were STD tested for everything, double check.  Many people find out they never were tested for herpes.

Terri
Quick clarification and note, sorry! When i wrote STD above, I was referring to herpes 2. Also, i just remembered that in my last relationship at one point I experienced one bump on my bikini line.. it persisted forever (never scabbed, itched, crusted, hurt, or oozed anything). I and everyone else i told assumed it was an ingrown hair, i think i may have even seen the hair eventually, but not totally sure. I picked at it forever and now i dont have it so i guess it eventually went away after a few months. Does that sound like herpes either?
Thank you for your reply! I have my STD screen copies and the one from last December did include a full panel blood test for Herpes, HIV, etc. Ironically enough, thurs morning, 1 pimple seemed to pop up on the labia. I could not help but try to pop it because it seemingly was a pimple with somewhat of a head. I have picked at it a few times since thurs so its somewhat uncomfortable touching underwear, etc. Can you please explain how to know if something like this is HSV-2/tell-tale signs? Do typical signs included itching, redness, any of that? Is it more common to have multiple bumps or one pimple like bump? I dont have any itching, redness or any other bumps whatsoever. Thanks!!
Good that you had herpes testing!  This, by itself, doesn't sound like HSV 2, and given your negative tests and very low risk exposure, I'm not worried that it might be herpes.

Terri
Thanks for your insight, I have one last question, I promise! If I hadn't immediately picked at what I thought was a "pimple" on the labia majora (it did what normal pimples do, if they are not whiteheads, they bleed a little from the poking and prodding and scab normally right away)...if it were herpes, would it still have gone through its "stages" even though i picked at it.. i.e.: would it have still become an open ulcer/lesion that eventually crusted with a yellowish hue? I am just wondering if I made it impossible to tell by picking at it. Thanks!
Labial lesions often just go from a blister that isn't notice to an ulcer to healing with no crust, just filling in of the skin.

Terri