Herpes Community
Understand IgG test results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Understand IgG test results

I recently got tested for all the major STDs, because my doctor believed I had chlamydia. I had an itchy sensation in what seemed to me my urethra, and sometimes a strong burning sensation when I peed. The doctor was quite sure thats what it was, but I chose to get all the tests, just for peace of mind. Interestingly, chlamydia showed up negative, but a I got a positive result for HSV-2. The last time I had done all the tests, a bit over a year ago I had no positive responses on any.

The HSV-2 test I took is called an HSV-2 IgG Antibodies test, it seems. Though I am living in Costa Rica and that is translated from Spanish. The result shows a 1:320, supposedly indicated a immunological memory, or evidence of a past infection. I have not been able to find much information online about those results, as it seems many of the other tests use a different scoring system.

I have never had any lesions that Ive noticed, though I have had the itching/burning sensation. And since Ive seen the results Ive felt more tingling sensations around the groin area, however they seemed to start after seeing the results, and I wonder if it can be psychological?  

Is it possible to have a false negative? Or is it possible that I got infected as some point in the last year, without having any symptoms? I am wondering if I need to contact all my previous partners to let them know?

I would love to hear from anyone who can help understand the results??
I'm sorry but not much I can help you with with your results since you aren't in the US. I suggest finding a support group in your country to see if someone there can help you with the results.

grace