Herpes Expert Forum
Understanding Herpes Test Results

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Understanding Herpes Test Results

I am freaking out. I had a syst looking like lump (about the size of a pea) on the lower right side of my vulva. I immediately freaked out because when I looked at it with a mirror it had 2 white heads on it. So I went to urgent care to see if I had Herpes or if it was just a syst. They did not do a culture, because the Dr said that it did not look like a typical sign of herpes. So they drew blood, two tubes, one for HSV I and one for HSV II.

Side note:
As I was waiting for blood results they put me on Cipro for 5 days and gave me a Rx for Valtrex in case the tests came back positive. 3 days later my syst looking thing ruptured and left a lesion. Now, 7 days later the lesion has almost healed but the syst looking thing is growing again.

When I finally received the results the nurse told me I had tested positive for HSV II. I asked her what the chance of false-positive was and she said she was unsure and to go see my gyno (my gyno is booked a month out, and I cannot wait that long without developing some type of stomach ulcer because of stress).

My blood results are as follows:

HSV I/II IgG 4.1
HSV 2 IgG, Type Spec 1.83

I did some heavy internet searching and I found out that Labcorp (where my labs were done) uses ELISA methodology and the false-positive rate is 70% if the HSV 2 is under 3.5.  Is that true? and, What does the 4.1 HSV I/II  results indicate? On my lab reports, they both say "high" beside them. I am freaking out...
The HSV 1 and 2 with a value of 4.1 combines the two tests - 1 and 2.  The second one for HSV 2 looks only for HSV 2.  I see no test that looks for HSV 1 alone.  

At 1.83, the false positive rate is about 70%.
The lesion, however, does concern me.  Have you recently had any new sex partners?  When was the last time you had intercourse with anyone?  It would have certainly been better if the lesion had been swab tested, regardless of whether it looked "typical", whatever that is with herpes.

Depending upon when you last sexual contact was, I will recommend a confirmatory test at some point within the next 4 months.

Terri
I have not had any new sex partners. I have only had sex with my husband for the past year and a half. The lesion came after the syst looking thing ruptured. I do not have any other lesions or irritated areas around my genitalia. When I  was younger I used to get systs on my ovaries monthly and also on my right hand... I don't know if one can be prone to systs or not, but that is what the thing looked like... I looked up vulva systs and the first thing that came up was a Bartholin Syst... but I am not a Dr so I don't know if that could be a possibility or not.

The last time my husband and I had sex was April 14, right before my period... the syst thing ruptured a couple days after my period ended.
I just reread this and I realized my tone is not the best and I apologize. It is just finals week and I graduate in May and I am a huge stress case right now and this thing on my genitalia is not helping :(
Your tone was fine, believe me, I can pick up tones that aren't nice ;-)
It could be a cyst, yes, but we are also looking at a low positive HSV 2 test that needs to be resolved, one way or the other.  Since you've had no partners but your husband, then you can do a confirmatory test anytime.  I recommend the western blot.  It is done only at the University of Washington and you can either send for a kit to have your blood drawn and sent back to your doc for drawing or you can become a phone patient of our clinic and we can order the test for you.  

Whatever is going on, I doubt that it is new.  How about if you just focus on school right now and deal with this after graduation.  It is NOT urgent.

Terri