Herpes Community
Undiagnosed-Recurrent Herpes (Multiple sites)

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

First let my say I have never had a cold sore. I first noticed herpes-like cluster on the left side of my neck when I was 21y/o. I did not know what it was and did not seek medical treatment. Symptoms of intense itching, burning pain followed by vesicles which healed in about one week. Next outbreak occurred on my right hand approximately 3 months later, same symptoms and recovery. I then had an eruption on left leg just to the side of my knee. This caused severe pain and fatigue prior to eruption, and seemed to take longer for recovery, closer to 14 days. I went sometime without any further symptoms and them began having fatigue followed by recurrent eruptions on right hand in multiple areas on my hand. The recurrences seemed to happen about 2-4x year. I finally went to physicians and he said herpetic dermatitis and prescribed Antiviral. No labs. The medication made me feel worse, so I used lysine. It has been over ten years and I have now gotten eruption on labia this year.  I also got eruption on arm after allergy testing and flu shot. My questions are 1) Can you have eruptions at multiple sites on body. 2) What lans should I ask for? Curiously, the only year I went without outbreak was when I was treated with low dose levothyroxine until my thyroid picked back up and had to stop the replacement.
Sorry new to this website.  The second question should be what lab work should I ask for?
at this point you certainly need to find out what all is going on!! Can you spread herpes like this - it's very unusual to do so.

Start with a type specific herpes igg blood test just to see what your status is in general. Every time you have a recurrence, be seen within 48 hours for a lesion culture to confirm herpes infection as the cause.  

typically lysine isn't very effective on herpes lesions - regardless of the body part. Certainly finding out if this is a herpes issue or something else is worthwhile since lysine is sometimes helpful with other dermatological skin issues.

best of luck getting to the bottom of this - unfortunately it won't be quick and easy answers since it relies on having active symptoms and getting them cultured in a timely manner:(

grace