Herpes Community
Unlear about my test results and what it means

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I need advice from a professional please:

A while ago I had a PAP smear show that something had changed in my cervical cells (?) probably due to viral infection. Because I freaked out I had my gynecologist suggest that I test my blood for several viruses.

What is most concerning for me is the Herpes results. Now, I know that I have Herpes 1 ever since I was a little girl which outbreaks into cold sores when I am under stress or other abnormal situations such as frequent flying, being sick, etc. But I didn't expect to have Herpes 2. Nor have I ever had symptoms of genital herpes. I think my gynecologist herself was unsure about reading the test results and said maybe I had come in touch with the virus at some point (as I understand no one comes in touch with a virus without acquiring it or at least wouldn't show antibodies if they had not acquired it). I also had a friend of mine who is a medical student see the results but he was more clueless than I was even and could only comment on my general blood test results.

Basically this is all that is written in the result ( I am translating not universal names from a different language):

RESULT               MEASURING UNIT     REFERENTIAL VALUE

IMMUNOCHEMICAL ANALYSES

Herpes I + II IgG                                         reactive ( 36.3 )                                       non reactive (< 0.9 S/COV)

MICROBIOLOGICAL ANALYSES

CMV IgM                                                    0.113                         S/CO Ratio            < 1,1 S/COV
CMV IgG                                                     /

I don't know if they are being specific here about both Herpes 1 and 2. Does it mean I have both?? Does it mean I just have Herpes (of either kind)? Should I contact the lab to ask if they have performed specific test to distinguish which type of Herpes or is this IgG enough? I mean, they should have been more clear about which Herpes type I have, I didn't pay them to tell me that I have Herpes 1 which I know already. And does this mean I have CMV too?

I tried to Google all about this but didn't exactly come up with an answer. So thank you very much in helping me clarify it!

Best,
Nina
What did the pap say? Did the pap say you have it?? I had a similar situation and dont know what to think. My Dr. said i didnt have anything to worry about but didnt suggest any blood test to rule it out. Still trying to figure out what 2 do next.
PAP smears do not show wether you have herpes or not, and by looking at your chart there for the blood work they did not do a specific type test. It basically shows nothing. In my opinion you should re test and make sure they give you a type specific. The blood work they gave you is obsolete.
you had the wrong blood testing done for herpes. you need to repeat it with a type spedific herpes igg blood test to see what your hsv1 status is and your hsv2 status. since you already know you have cold sores, you know your hsv1 is + so perhaps you'll get more accurate testing if you just ask for hsv2 igg testing.  

your cmv igm is negative which means you don't have an active cmv infection going on. Most of us have had cmv by the time we get out of public school and really no reason to test for it unless you are pregnant so I wouldn't repeat that testing at all.

grace
Thank you for your response.

My cervical microbiological and viral tests (I guess this is from the culture samples they take) said that I was negative for HSV (Herpes). I was also negative for all other things they tested this way except for something which is a bacteria called Ureaplasmaureolythicum. This is something I got from my boyfriend as it comes from males and apparently is a very common bacteria in men. My gynecologist prescribed me antibiotics for it, but my boyfriend didn't want to take anything for it since his doctors in the US said they don't treat this there - different schools of medical thought I guess..

My PAP said only that I had "benign cell changes - inflammation due to viral nature"

There is another thing that points to a virus its the results of the Colposcopy which says - "Cervicitis Chronica Virosa" and I have no idea what this is.

Maybe you should also go get another test specifically for the Herpes 2 type to rule that out. Or maybe it's another virus? Or maybe you had a big general body virus that would affect your cervical cells?? Not sure..
Thank you both very much for your time! I will definitely follow your advice and specifically ask for type specific blood test. Grace, I think I will just ask them to check only for HSV 2 since yes, I know I have cold sores. My gynecologist should have known that this is not type specific though...

Thank you again for your advice!

Best wishes,
Nina
I know what Cervicitis is, but what is Cervicitis Chronica Virosa??