Herpes Community
Unusually long incubation period for HSV 2?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Ive just been diagnosed with hsv 2- had some blisters come up at beginning of november. I have been in a monogamous relationship for 4 months. We both have/ had hsv 1 - but today she tested negative for hsv 2 and i  tested positive for it last week, basis fluid taken from some of the blisters. Now, one would assume that my girlfriend would do the maths and come to the conclusion that i have been cheating on her at some point over teh past 2-3 weeks but here is the deal:

REVERSE TIMELINE:-

Nov 4- outbreak begins- get treated with acyclovir- blisters clear up in a week
Nov 1 - admitted to hospital with deep laceration in my gluteus
All of month of October- in and out of hospital pretty much every day due to an abcess (abscess) removal in chest and an open wound- on painkillers and antibiotics, ,in bed by 9 every evening- no sex most of the month except towards end of month.

Last week of September - damage to cornea and 3 broken ribs - leaving me in too much pain to do anything - the medical issues i have had, serve as an alibi with my girlfriend cos she has seen me unable to get out of bed , dress myself and seen me heavily medicated on tramadol most of the time.

So i have not been sexually active with my girlfriend really at all and certainly no one else over the past 6 weeks - but i had sex with her twice i believe in the final week of october and bang i end up suddenly with herpes. But she tested negative and has showed me the test. I have read from Dr HH that never does the incubation period go past 3 weeks. But it seems to have in this case- I've never had an outbreak before and tested negative for all STDs back in August. Any ideas??
anyone have an idea? im totally coønused
Did you test positive for HSV-2 through a blood test as well?

If you did test positive through blood then this is possibly a recurrence or first noticeable outbreak. Herpes is a tricky virus and affects everyone differently. When you and your girlfriend were tested at the beginning of the relationship (I'm assuming from your indication of HSV-1 positive on both ends) it is possible that your antibodies for HSV-2 were undetectable at that time due to a recent infection. In short, it is possible that you acquired this before the start of your relationship with this girl and are now testing positive for it because the antibodies take time (3 months) to become detectable in most cases.
were you ever tested for herpes before this? I know you posted months ago with herpes concerns, did you ever follow up with any testing?

grace
i tested back in august for everything...

reading the above , meybe this isnt first outbreak but first noticeable one, i have had an incredibly stressful time recently . both me and my g/f had hsv bloodests, both pos for hsv 1 but only me for hsv 2.
so you had a + lesion culture for hsv2? ( just trying to make sure I understand )

yes - fluid taken form the 3 small blisters - pos as hsv 2
there is a small percentage of people who don't test accurately on the herpes igg blood tests. if you want to get the exact test results from august for herpes to post here, I will gladly take a look at them. just post the actual results - e..g hsv1 igg 5.9 and hsv2 igg .33 or whatever they are.

also how long prior to her testing, had your gf had a partner besides you?
my gf hasnt had a partner since 2011...i have had several , but always ran clear tests for everything.
will dig out the test sheet tomorrow. thanks.
my test says :HSV Isolation HERPES SIMPLEX TYPE 2 ISOLATED - this was from the fluid collected from penile shaft base blisters

Her test ( a blood test)

HSV type I IgG Antibody > 3.50 (positive=>1.10)
HSV type II IgG Antibody result 0.13 (Negative :Ratio <0.9)
well you know what you have and where you have it. I wouldn't bother with more blood tests at this point unless you absolutely need the peace of mind. if you do want to test with another blood test, the herpes WB would be the best choice.

are you and your gf talking about all of this?