Herpes Community
Valacyclovir and IGG results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Valacyclovir and IGG results

My encounter was on 3/12, two weeks later, I felt symptoms typical of genital herpes when explained to my dermatologist including fever with pain in the buttock muscles along with burning/tingling, and tiny red papules on the head of the penis. I concurrently had tingling and a irritation in the scrotum. I started immediately taking 3000mg/day of l- lysine and symptoms subsided a week later...no classic sores/blisters. I had multiple folliculitis on the buttocks and thighs.  I ordered Valacyclovir online, and in late April, late May and the first week of July, I had repeat of the symptoms for about a week each time, the last two only involving the scrotum and multiple folliculitis again. In each one of those three minor outbreaks/symptoms, I took Valacyclovir 1000mg twice daily for 5 days (10 tablets each time).

I went by your advice and had a herpes test done exactly 4 months after the encounter on 7/12 and the results were HSV I above 5 (which I had for 10 years) and HSV II 0.26. On the day of the test, I had just got done taking the Valacyclovir for 5 days. I had not stopped taking the l-lysine for the whole period as a precaution and to reduce symptoms/outbreaks although its not proven. My dermatologist  could not verify that the inflamed red papules were classic herpes and in July he said what's in my scrotum looks like a flat reddened area not like a classic looking herpes blister and not like a hemorrhoid although I know herpes can present in many variations.

I understand that my HSVII result is negative, however, my previous results from Mach 2009 using the same lab were HSV I 4.52 and HSV II 0.05.  My specific question is: Is it possible that my diligence in taking three courses of Valacyclovir on the first onset of symptoms on the second, third and fourth outbreak symptoms could have weakened the virus to a point where my immune system did not detect and have to fight; and hence produce any antibodies yet? Or could it be that I have HSV I genitally that I gave to myself masturbating in March after having it orally for 10 years? Im writing this with a mild fever, a very sore lower back/buttocks and the tingly scrotum again which is driving me crazy. I read on here by "grace" that people taking valtrex can have false negatives if they take a IGG blood test too soon or close to valtrex treatments and should wait longer to sereoconvert. What do I do? Do I retest? When? Help!
You paid to post this on the expert's forum so wait for Terri's reply there.