Valtrex dosage for cold sores?
I am having a really bad cold sore outbreak (getting one right after the other), so I finally asked my doctor for Valtrex. He prescribed 1000 mg a day for 7 days to clear it all up. I am looking online though, and it looks like the normal dosage is 2000 mg a day, twice a day, for one day. I am confused, and the doctor's office will be closed until Monday. Anyone know anything about the dosage I was given and if it will be effective? Is the dosage maybe different because I am having an active outbreak instead of preventing a cold sore from popping up in its very early stages? I am also breastfeeding my baby, so maybe the other dosage would be too high? I'm so confused...
Hi, for valtrex as below per Terri Warren: You can view this and other helpful information in her "Updated herpes handbook" Westover Hieghts web site.
1. first time outbreaks 1000 mg twice a day for ten days.
2. recurrent outbreaks 2 grams twice a day, 12 hours apart. she also advises that is no longer necessary to take this medicine for more thatn one day for greatest benefit.
3. suppression 1000 mg once a day for people who have 10 or more outbreaks per year. 500 mg once a day for people who have 9 or fewer outbreaks per year and that doses are taken every day.
Thank you! Strange that he didn't give me the standard dosage. I guess I will just keep taking it as he directed for now (it does seem like it is making a difference already, thankfully) and call on Monday to double check.