Herpes Community
Varying Herpes Blood Test Results and Other STD/Is

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

My results have baffled my doctors.  I wanted to see if I could get some insight from others via this forum.

I tested positive for HSV-1 genital via culture in March 2012 but negative via a blood test in March 2012.  I have had daily pain since the primary infection in March 2012 (8 months).  Therefore, I have seen different doctors for a solution, and they all tested me for herpes.  

In April 2012 I had a Herpeselect blood test with a result of 3.72 (negative index is 0.00-0.89).

Then, in late August 2012 I tested negative for IgG through GenPath labs, which used the test called HealthCheck USA Herpes Simplex Virus 1 & 2 lgG (result = 0.6 with negative being <0.9), but my HSV 1 IgM Abs came back as detected (no number given).  

This month (October 2012), another doctor ordered the CLIA HSV test because he didn't trust the ELISA (e.g., Herpeselect).  I tested negative on both the IgM and the IgG tests.  The results were as follows:
Herpes Simplex /2 IgM = 0.50
Herpes Simplex 1 IgG = 0.33
Herpes Simplex 2 IgG = 0.50
On the CLIA, anything above 0.9 is considered positive (same as the other tests).  However, an interesting point is that when I was tested in October 2012, I had a more extensive "pap smear" than is typically done in the US, and more complete blood work than my other doctors would approve.  I tested positive for Chlamydia and the biopsy revealed HPV infection.

Have such differing herpes test results happened with others in this forum?

Has anyone had other issues that caused genital problems that were incorrectly attributed to genital herpes?  Do these other issues affect herpes testing?  

If I have herpes for sure (based on culture), and my blood tests keep coming up negative, then I worry about whether or not to even trust test results from future partners.  How do we truly know that a person has herpes besides just a Western Blot test?  How reliable is the Western Blot (specificity and sensitivity)?

I'm just want to hear other people's thoughts because I don't see others talking about these particular issues.

so why did you test + for hsv1 on a lesion culture and it's not showing up on blood tests?  unfortunately the blood tests aren't as good at picking up on hsv1 as they are hsv2. you don't need to pursue a WB at this point - you've had the lesion culture and know what you have and where.  there really isn't any reason for your providers to continue to order up blood testing over and over again like this.  

As Dr HHH told you in your post to him previously, whatever is going on, it's not likely to all be a herpes issue. continue to follow up with your providers as needed to try to get to the bottom of what is going on.  if you haven't consulted a vulvodynia specialist yet, not a bad idea to look around for one.

grace