VivaGel and SPL7013 are these possible cures for HSV-2
Hi there.  I  did a search on google for herpes trials and treatments and I came across an article on VivaGel and SPL7013. What I would like to know is if these treatments can potentially be a cure for herpes strain 2 (HSV-2)? If so, will these be effective if you have an established infection? (information was very scientific and to be honest I couldn't understand it all)
Any advice on this would be appreciated.  Any hopes out there for people who have established infections (fyi - I expect to find out my status end of this week)

Thank you.
I don't think so. I know that VivaGel is a microbicide, which was initially designed to prevent HIV infection. I don't think it was shown to be successful in trials. I'm not sure of its effect with herpes, but I'm fairly sure it will be preventitive, not therepeutic.
Thanks aardvarkadmirer for your reply.

Here is a link to another site that I have found which details trials around AG-707 which is a investigational therapeutic vaccine.  

http://www.antigenics.com/trials/open/40001/

Are you aware of this trial?

Does anyone have any comments?
the ag707 trial is just in phase 1. the first formulation of it failed from a herpes standpoint so they reforumlated it and are trying it again. Nothing has been published yet as far as if the new forumation was effective or not. ag 707 is a theraputic vaccine ( sometimes called a theracine ) which means that it won't prevent infection with herpes, just helps to free those of us who have it up from our daily pills.

grace