Herpes Community
Went on a date with a girl with oral herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hi, I just wanted to find out the risk of transmission from a date I just went on.
I met this girl and gave her a kiss on the cheek, realizing immediately as I did it that there was a pimple like thing below her lower lip. I intially thought it was zit but she just kept touching it and picking at it so I eventually asked her what it was and was told it was herpes.

My primary concern is a few times before I realized what it was, I touched and held her hands after she had touched and picked at the outbreak. After, that I am unsure whether I touched my lips or anything else but may have. The outbreak looked like a red inflamed zit that had popped. Not sure if it was scabbed or in the "weeping" stage.

After she told me that, I politely excused myself and went and washed my hands and did not touch her anymore tonight. About an hour later,i went home and washed my face with soap hoping to prevent any outbreak.

Do I have anything to be concerned about?

thanks!
Lad,, you are not going to get herpes for the kiss on the cheek. The chances of getting oral herpes is low. It is estimated that 0ver 90% of the population has oral herpes. It is quite possible you have oral herpes.  Herpes is contagious , but the chances are slim to none
Thanks for the response. Honestly , I am worried about 2 things, first when i Kissed her on the cheek it was near the outbreak, though I am fairly certain I did not directly touch it.

Secondly, I am concerned about when we were holding hands, like I said she was constantly finger and poking at the outbreak and then a few times, i would hold her hands after that.

I am unsure if I broght my hands onto my lips or the straw i was drinking my drink out of, but it is entirely possible. Is that legitimate way of spreading herpes?

I am assuming I will know in the next week or so if I have a break out as well?
have you ever been tested for herpes before to know your own status? most folks who  have hsv1 orally, never get obvious cold sores to know it.

holding hands is not a risk for you even if she was constantly poking at her cold sore.

you can't wash off herpes either. it's transmitted during the kiss, it doesn't lay around on the skin to work its way into the body over time.

also as an adult, oral herpes is almost exclusively transmitted through romantic type kisses, not simple pecks on the cheek. This really isn't a reason to worry that you contracted hsv1 orally if you don't already have it.

grace
Hi grace, I have not ever been tested for herpes.

I am a bit unclear , so you are saying its unlikely I transferred herpes from my hands to myself from her outbreak? and the peck on the cheek eventhough it was close to the outbreak should be ok?
bump! thanks again!
correct - you shouldn't be concerned from this encounter.

since herpes is on your mind, seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test so that you know your status for future partners and can make educated decisions together :)
thank you!