Herpes Expert Forum
Western Blot accurate

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Western Blot accurate

I've read so much and received so many different opinions my head is spinning.  I had sex with a woman who had hsv2 genital.  I wanted to know if I was infected so I went straight to the Western Blot since I've not noticed any lesions.  The relationship I had ended well over a year ago, so I thought after a year the Western Blot would be accurate.  My Doctor wasn't sure if the test would ever be 100%.

1.  How accurate is the test for HSV2? I have type 1 oral already if that makes a difference.
2.  Dr. Warren, I know you (and I've also read about a Dr. Wald) are the authorities on this.  How many times have you seen folks not seroconvert?  Have you ever had any in your clinic with HSV 2 not turn positive, and if so can you guess how many?
3.  What are the chances of someone not getting genital outbreaks and having negative WB still having the virus?  Have you ever seen someone with maybe an initial outbreak, no reoccurences and consistent negative tests?

Sorry if these are odd questions, but it's hard to move on when no one tells you a straight answer.  I know a lot of doctors don't like to talk about this stuff...
Just for the record, your situation is quite common - negative testing, even western blot, just can't believe it.

In my clinic, over 30 years of practice, I have seen 9 patients who have positive cultures or PCRs for herpes that tested negative on the western blot.  These are people who have had more than one outbreak, repeatedly tested positive for culture or PCR.  

I think the chances that a person would have a negative blot and no symptoms and still have herpes are very low indeed.  If you ready my response carefully, you will see that these are people who have repeated recurrences, not someone who is asymptomatic.  

You oral HSV 1 infection does not make a difference when reading the western blot.

What are the chances that you will get in a car and your seat belt will break and you'll be killed in a car accident?  What are the chances a drunk driver will plow into the front of your house?  What are the chances a brown recluse spider will crawl into your bed and bite you in the night?  I mean, you just can't know everything yet you go on living.  What are the chances that we will be killed on this road trip by a murderer who comes into our campground?  I don't know, but I'm going to keep living fully anyway and if he comes, he does.  

I want the same thing for you!  You've done your best, it is all you can do.  If you, down the road, get a lesion, have it swab tested.  Until then, LIVE!

Terri

Terri
I was wondering if there is a possibility that yeast infection can cause any reaction to the HSV blood tests? Or is it possible to have HSV outbrakes only when having sexual intercourse?

Recently I was diagnosed with herpes 2. I went the gyn to get tested because I was starting in a new relationship and I wanted to make sure everything was ok since I had a previous partner this year. When the gyn finish with the checkup he prescribe me Monistat (I didn't use it because I didn't want to affect my blood results). When I had my test results for HSV it came back positive for herpes 2 (2.3). I freakout and I ask to my gyn if there was a possibility that the results may be wrong, he's answer was that the test were 100% sure and prescribe me valtrex. I didn't take the med because (if I have herpes) I'm assymptomatic. I went for a second opinion (since I notice that the lab switch some of the tests and instead of doing HIV they made diabetis test) so I didn't rely on the results. The other doctor run the test for HSV IgM and IgG wich came IgM negative IgG herpes1 (negative) herpes2 positive (1.18). (The tests were made in the same month)

Previous to all of this when I was with my first partner this year I had vaginal infection (or the first outbrake) but when I went to the university gyn he told me that it was yeast infection and he made me brig my partner at that time and check him out to be sure. We were both prescribed with yeast infection meds and the symptoms were gone in 5 days (at least for me)  and the symptoms never recurred, they only resurface when I have sexual intercouse.   I've always been very sentive in my area (since the first time) I have always had problem with it.

It's been 8 month since that possible HSV encounter ( I already talked to my past partner but he is and I quote "so happy with he's new relationship that he does not want to ruin it by having bad results" (wich confirms my suspicions of HSV). But I sill have questions and that is why I asks