Herpes Community
What % of people are positive for both HSV-1 and HSV-2?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I've seen the common statistics for the US population, showing roughly 66% HSV-1 seroprevalence and 20-25% HSV-2 seroprevalence.  One study of pregnant women showed 63% HSV-1 positives, 22% HSV-2 positives and 13% positive for both.  Since the HSV-1 and HSV-2 figures roughly match overall US statistics, I'm wondering if the 13% positive for both might be roughly accurate for the US population?

Are there any studies on this, or on HSV seronegativity (the other side of the coin, so to speak)?
How important is it for you to know this? Who cares? All that matters is that you and your potential sex partners get tested to know what the 2 of you have.
"Who cares?"

Obviously I care.
well obviously quite a few folks have both if 1 out of every 2-3 have hsv1 and 1 out of every 4-5 have hsv2 correct?  

The NHANES IV study has some stats on coinfection too but to be honest, I'm too hot and tired to go thru the pile of studies here in my office to quote you their stats.  To me, you don't need a study to see that quite a bit of average everyday folks have them both when you look at the infection rates.

grace
Thanks for pointing me to the NHANES IV study.  For the age group 14-49, HSV-1 & HSV-2 dual seroprevalence was 10.5%.  HSV-2 seroprevalence was 17.2% and HSV-1 seroprevalence was 57.7%.  HSV seronegativity was 35.4%.

Of course, since this study looks at 14-49, an older group would show higher seroprevalence, likely higher coinfection and lower seronegativity.  I'm guessing NHANES IV collected data on older people as well, but it seems like this study stuck with the 14-49 group so they could compare that with 14-49 data from NHANES III.  Would be interesting to see a seroprevalence study that included a wider age range, from sexual maturity to old age.
NHANES III included the over 50 data but IV didn't for some reason which is perplexing to all of us.  

grace
I did a little searching and there are other studies (non-HSV related) that use NHANES IV data that indicates that NHANES IV included over-50 persons, which of course we would expect given that the goal of NHANES is to get an accurate picture of the health trends of the entire nation, not just the under-50 folks.

I can only assume that the researchers doing the HSV analysis of NHANES IV vs. NHANES III found that the over-50 groups were not comparable across the two datasets for some reason.  Or to be really cynical, there was a motivation to show smaller infection figures, which of course a younger group will yield.  And of course those of us reading the study will know that the infection rate for those in the 14-49 age group will be considerably lower than for a group that includes older people, but the headline number is what most people will focus on.  And the headline numbers are lower than what we're used to seeing: HSV-2 seroprevalence of 17%; women 23%; men 11%.
I'm sure the info was collected, just why it wasn't included in the write ups on it no one seems to know at all.  Hoping maybe something will be discussed on it next year at the next cdc std conference at least.

Also it's unfortunate that NHANES doesn't reflect hsv1 genital infection either. With 70% of newly acquired genital herpes infections in the under 25 group being due to hsv1, it's changing the numbers a bit too.

grace