Herpes Expert Forum
What Are The Odds?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

What Are The Odds?

I have chatted with my MD after finding out I had HSV2 and he mentioned a number of studies on the chances of me infecting someone. The gist of it was that as long as we refrained from sex during an outbreak, used condoms for intercourse and anti-virals on a daily basis that the chances of spreading the virus was around 1%. I got the same data from a couple of other doctors as well. I guess my question is, does this sound right to you? Frankly my fear of infecting someone is so intense that even 1% sounds like too much of a risk.
I would agree with these statistics if you are female.  If you are male the transmission rates, given the same circumstances, the chances are around 2-3% per year.  

May I ask how you were diagnosed with herpes?  

The chances that you will infect someone else, knowing that you have herpes and doing all those things to reduce the risk of transmission vs. the risk of someone who doesn't know that have herpes transmitting to someone else is far lower.  If a person is not aware that they have herpes, they will do none of the things that you describe and are far likely to transmit the virus.  You have knowledge on your side!

Terri
I get myself tested on a regular basis and the last time I was tested it was negative but about a week later I had an outbreak - very minor and came and went in a few days. I then got re-tested and it was, of course, positive. No outbreaks since then in the last six months. I have been taking the anti-virals right after the diagnosis.
You don't mention if you are male or female, so I don't know what your risks are specifically, but both the risks for male and females are listed above with the different circumstances the apply.

Terri
A related discussion, What Are The Odds (Part II) was started.