Herpes Expert Forum
What are my chances of having acquired genital herpes?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

I made out with a girl on Saturday night AND had oral sex. LATER that night, I realized she had a cold core on the edge of her lip. Not ON the lip, but RIGHT next to it – would this reduce chances of transmission? I looked closely at it while she was sleeping and noticed a bit of scabbing and a couple white dots surrounded by redness. I had washed off my penis in the bath tub a short while (after ejaculating) w/ HOT water and soap. I also urinated as well.

The next morning (Sunday), it had completely scabbed over (yellowish in color). I pointed it out to her and she peeled it off entirely. It did NOT bleed and was essentially a dry, smooth pinkish bump (couple millimeters in width) and there seemed to be circles of dried skin around it.

She has had cold sores in the past (since age of 5) and claims it is a pimple. She first noticed it on Thursday. She agreed to visit my general doctor today (Monday) to show it to him. It was almost gone at this point and the doctor did not believe it was herpes based on how it looked today. He believes that it has healed too quickly for it to have been a herpetic lesion.

Wouldn’t the skin under the scab bleed if peeled off if herpes? She claims that it never scabbed over again. Would it have healed so quickly? Is it possible that is could have been a pimple OR angular cheilitis? Would a pimple (or anything besides herpes) produce a yellowish scab?

I had diarrhea within 36 hours, is this a possible symptom of infection?

If I don't get an outbreak within 12 days, should this be a SMALL relief?

I am planning on getting the IgM test after 2 weeks. Never been diagnosed with herpes (checked recently too). Can I take this after 5 days?

If I got herpes during this encounter, am I contagious now or would I need to have an outbreak?

Am I screwed??
So if she admits that she has HSV 1 infection, you know there is a risk of you acquiring it through receiving oral sex.  If you test negative at four weeks, it isn't definitive as it isn't quite long enough - I would suggest that you wait at least 3 months to have a more accurate answer.  However, you could test at 4 weeks and then again at 3 months if that would help to reassure you more.  About 70% of people who are going to become positive will do so by 6 weeks after exposure, so maybe that would be a good time frame to get sort of intermediate reassurance?

You questions about the bump itself are not as relevant since you know she has HSV 1.
I don't think you are in "bad shape" both because of the washing, which may or may not help, but also because you were double negative (no type 1 and no type 2) and have not yet developed symptoms, that's a good thing!

HSV 1 can certainly be contracted in the genital area through oral sex, and is, of course, far more likely to happen in the person who has no antibody than the person who is already infected orally.

Hope these answers help clarify your situation.

Terri
I don't think you are screwed, but I can't assure you that you won't get herpes either.  If you don't get an outbreak within 10 days, I think you are in pretty good shape transmission-wise.  Have you actually had an IgG test for herpes?  Forget the IgM test completely!   Many false positives, lots of unnecessary worry, for sure, with this test.  The CDC says don't use it.  

I'm not sure about her presentation and wouldn't take a guess without seeing it.  My your description, it wounds like herpes, but could be a pimple.  Herpes can heal within 4-5 days for some people.  the point is, if she has EVER had a cold sore, then she has HSV 1 infection, which can be transmitted via oral sex to you.  

Terri
She does have HSV 1. She admits that.

Yes, I have had an IgG test and it was negative for Type I and II.

How long should I wait to take the IgG test after this encounter? Is 4 weeks adequate?

I asked many questions in my initial post...

Also, please explain why you don't think I am in bad shape. Is it the washing? The location of the herpes on her face? The description of the "pimple"?

Is HSV 1 very easy to get on the genitals or is it a bit more difficult?
Does Dr. Handsfield have any comments?
Any more information would be very helpful. Please respond!
Thank you, Terri!

I have just started feeling the lymph nodes in my groin. The ones at the corners of my pubic area (closer towards the center of my body) and both are a little tender when I apply firm pressure...more significant on my left side.

The one on the left side seems to be a bit firm (smaller than the size of a pea). However, I do NOT have any signs of sores.

The other lymph nodes in the area seem to be fine and NO tenderness. Would all lymph nodes in the area be affected if this was a symptom or just these specific ones (same location on both sides)?

Is this something of concern?
I noticed the tender lymph nodes yesterday (about 2 1/2 days after my encounter)...would it happen so quickly if I happen to have contracted herpes?

Your urgent response is GREATLY appreciated...I am freaking out BIG TIME!
Still no signs of any sores and the tenderness on both sides has reduced.

Also, do swollen lymph nodes in the groin usually appear BEFORE an outbreak or DURING an outbreak? I do NOT seem to have any other symptoms (i.e. headache, fever, etc.).

Please let me know what you think. Are swollen/tender groin lymph nodes a very bad sign?

Thank you, again!
you really need to have more patience!!  No need to post this often - Terri gets to posts when she has time.

grace
It isn't possible to know anything about you possibly contracting herpes based on lymph nodes.  First of all, you can make your lymph nodes enlarge and become tender by pusing on them, is this the case?  

What you really want to observe for is sores.  That is the most important thing.  If you have no sores at all, nothing, then the lymph nodes are far less relevant.  

If you are interested in Dr. Handsfield responding to your post, you need to post again at the STD forum.

I know you are scared, I know you are nervous, but I strongly encourage you to somehow settle a bit with this!  You are way more anxious about this than you need to be at this point.  I want you to keep in mind - whatever is, already is.  If you are infected, then you are.  If you are not, then you aren't.  There is absolutely nothing more you can do than be incredibly anxious!  But that won't change anything!  I want you to step back from this, way back and take a deep breath.  Post to Dr. Handsfield if you wish.  That might make you feel better.  But I suspect he will give you similar advice.

Sorry to be a bit getting back to you, I've been testifying as an expert witness on herpes in a federal trial.

Terri
Thank you, Terri! Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate your responses. It has been 9 days now and NO sores :)  I am much more calm now.
Good, I'm so glad.  Calm is nice ;-)
Terri