Herpes Expert Forum
What are the chances?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

What are the chances?

Dear Terri Warren, I’m a 25 year old male who always practice safe sex, actually I have never had sex without a condom in my life except for oral sex. I been tested before for all std’s including herpes and my recent one was September my result were negative for Hsv 2 and Positive for Hsv 1, I had it since I was a kid and get outbreaks once every three years. Well on November 16  2012 I had protected sex with a sexual worker no symptoms appear during that period, December 9 2012 I made another mistake I had protected sex with another sexual worker then 11 days past exposure I develop a rash on my right groin and found at least 4 or 5 tiny! Little bumps and each bump had a hair growing out of it and they were semi closed to the rash of coursed I freaked out and went to my dermatologist right away. He look at the rash on my groin and he told me it was jock itch and told me to calm down it wasn’t an std I told him about the bumps and he said I don’t see any bumps told me to get a powder and send me home and told me not to worry, the rash was gone by 2 days but the tiny bumps were still there and they were there for at least 3 weeks or 4 weeks. well on the 23 of December stupid of me I slept with a girl the I met an a bar we had a lot unprotected  genital rubbing and condom protected sex couple times that night. I know stupid of me I should of just keep it in my pants that night ugh!! On December 25 I develop a circle red mark on my pubic hair region  almost by my abdomen and it was gone in 3 days no blisters anywhere, on the 1 of January after lots of drinking and snoring cocaine I start feeling tinglin sensation on my whole pubic area groins and I was freaking out my anxiety was really high but still no sores, no blisters NOTHING!!! Can you please help me? Does any of those symptoms sounds like genital herpes? I’m testing on march 18 would that be enough time?

THANK YOU
No, none of this sounds like herpes to me.  Little bumps with a hair coming out of it sounds more like folliculitis to me, an irritation and inflammation of the hair follicle.  The hair causes a small break in the skin, so bacteria can get into the follicle and cause it to be red or raised.  

The circle mark you noted on your abdomen also doesn't sound like herpes to me.  If herpes is going to present with symptoms (and you know you didn't have it before this because you had a negative test), they would not look like this.  

March 18 should be OK for testing.  I like four months from the time of exposure, but it is possible that you may have more sexual exposures between now and then.  

Terri
Thanks for your response! I haven't had any sexual exposures since December 23 and I'm planning on not to. You think my exposures are low risk? I bought the test from www.getstdtested.com is that a good website for the purchase of herpes test?
Yes, that site is fine.  they will just have you go to a lab and have your blood drawn and likely to a test called an ELISA, which is commonly used.  If you have questions about the results, feel free to post them.

Terri
Ok I bought the test online and I'm going thought labcorp is the closes one to mine house. I hear the labcorp does the captia test right? What's the difference with that test or is the same as the elisa test? And does alcohol reflects the test results? I do drink everyday and gonna be drinking on march 17 for my brothers wedding a day before the test so could drinking lots the day before be a problem?

Captia is a form of ELISA test, and it is fine.  Alcohol has no impact on the test.

Terri
Hello terry i went to labcorp to have my blood taking but the only took one and half vile of blood, they had trouble trying to get my blood should i be worry about that? Should I contact the website and let them know or should i wait for my results? I will probably get them tomarrow. Thanks
No, it only takes a small amount of blood to run the test.  

Terri
Hello dead terri. i got my results today they were :
Hsv1 IGG Type, specific .4.11
Hsv2 IGG Type, specific .91 :)
it saids the i'm negative for hsv 2 so can i trust this test results all the symptoms i had in the past can be forgotten correct?
Yes, I believe you can count on this test.

Terri
Dear Terri I got a question to ask you!
Do you think I tested to early at 85 days past exposure? I been doing a lot of running and working out and the other day I notice a bump with a hair coming out of it on my right side of the groin and started to freak out!! I haven't had any sex since December 23  should I be worry about herpes 2 or Forget about it?
We ask patients to wait 4 months for the most accurate results.  But you are at almost 3 months so that's pretty close.  Your decision in the end.

Terri