Herpes Community
What are the odds?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

What are the odds?

I recently met a girl that admitted to me right off the bat that she had herpes. I found it very admirable and courageous she would tell me, and I thought it would be quite terrible of me to discount her because of a skin condition. I chose to see her again and we talked about it and she told me she isn't taking any meds and that she doen't have outbreaks often. We did end up sleeping together 3-4 times, one of the times it was unprotected. I know it was stupid to do so but heat of the moment, right? She also performed oral sex on me unprotected...I never did return the favor though.

I just want to know exactly how risky this was? Is it likely I got infected? It's been a week and a half, no signs of anything yet. She and I are still talking and a week after we slept together she told me she had an outbreak, so I'm kinda worried. I know there isn't a way to tell me the odds (%) of risk of infection, but I'm trying to figure out just how stupid a decision it was and if I should be really worried? Any kind of soothing response is appreciated, but a "real" response is what I'm after. I've read online that it's more difficult for an uninfected man to get it, and from what I've read I feel like the odds are that i didn't get it? She's also told me that she's slept with others and dated others and never infected them...

Any kind of explanation or feedback is appreciated.
does she have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally?

have you ever been tested to know your own status?

since you two have had unprotected sex, have you both covered your full std testing bases from prior partners?  it's so much more than just herpes!!

grace