Herpes Community
What does the number 2.02 mean on a positive HSV2 blood test?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have a few questions, and Im super new to all of this and super freaked out so bare with me.

1. I recently received my positive diagnosis of HSV2. My doctor just called me and was very short and unhelpful. Since then she has been hard to reach and I have a lot of questions. My results came in at 2.02. I have never had an outbreak, symptom or any visual sign.....

2. Is this a low number?
3. Can you tell if I've been infected longer or shorter depending upon the number?
4.Will this number increase, and if it does, will this mean the infection will get stronger? Does this mean I can eventually develop symptoms?
5.  How often are these tests inaccurate and provide false positives?
6. Ive been prescribed daily Valtrex, and it seems to be giving me weird side effects, like puffiness and stomach cramps. Plus the Pharmacist claims the Valtrex is really hard on the liver. Is this true?

Sorry for so many questions but any feed back would be appreciated as I am freaked out and internet research has led me here.

thanks
your hsv2 igg is a low positive and will need confirmed with further testing.

how long before you were tested had you last had sex?

no, valtrex isn't hard on the liver.  probably no reason to take it at this point until you confirm that you really do have herpes.

do you have a regular partner?

grace
Thank you Thank you Thank you Grace for your quick response.

I am thankful to hear that is a low number. So Ive read the Western Blot is the next test? As again, Ive had ZERO symptoms. Is there a large number of false positives?

The last time I had sex was two weeks before the test. I was tested on the last day of May and a week later it came back as positive. I actually didnt even want this test, I asked for a general Chlamydia test and BOOM I got the full testing. (Which I am very thankful I do not have anything else).

I kind of have a regular partner. :-/ We've been sleeping together for 7 years...but its a complex situation and Ive had others besides him. The doctor told me that this positive result means its at least a month old in my system, so Im guessing it wasnt the most recent guy. (This makes me sound so slutty I know..I'm super ashamed). I always use condoms, but alas now I know it doesnt protect everything.

Good! So it isnt hard on the liver! Yay! My side effects seem abnormal...with the puffiness and the larger breasts. Im not pregnant...are these side effects normal?

Thank you again, you are really helping me calm down :-)
Oh! And also....I was wondering if there was any correlation between the number of antibodies found and the length the infection has been in the body? Thank you again :-)
UGH. my doctor just called. Says the number on the test has no correclation with how long Ive had it or to the intensity of the infection. Its just Positive or Negative.

She also said that the number may fluctuate but really doesn't vary too much. She completely dismissed the Blot test and said thats for research purposes and she wouldnt even know how to order it???

She also said that out of all the people with herpes, 20% never show symptoms and possibly never will. Is this because peoples immune systems are different? Its only one virus correct?

UGH Im so sad.
since you had sex 2 weeks prior to testing, at this point you need to wait 3 months and repeat the testing you had and go from there. meanwhile your regular partner can be tested to know their status too.  

the WB herpes blood test isn't for research purposes either. it's a well established way to confirm herpes infection and using it to do so is recommended in the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines.  If your provider uses quest labs, it's test #34534. it's a send out from all quest labs in the US to the U of washington lab.  You can't get the WB though until 4 months after you last had sex. Just easier at this point to wait and repeat the testing you had done.  Also encourage your provider to read the CDC guidelines because if they are going to order the testing, they should know what in the world to do with the results!!