Herpes Community
What is the chance that i will contract genital herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I recently received about 30 seconds of unprotected fellatio from a woman until i discovered that she had a cold sores on her mouth. Prior to noticing this I also gave this person oral sex. I also had protected intercourse with this person. In past I have often had cold sores on mouth when I get sick. I took a shower 15 minutes after this experience. Is there I high chance that i have joined the genital herpes community? If so how soon will know? Also what is my chance of having HIV, as I do not not the status of this person/
If you already have HSV1 and she had HSV1 on her mouth, what are you worried about? You already have it. You can't get it twice. You are fine.
worried it will spread to my genitals.
It doesn't work that way. HOWEVER, there is a way it can happen and that is when you first contract HSV1 and let's say you break the blister or somehow are able to rub the virus from your lip to your penis, it is possible since your body doesn't have the antibodies to fight it off. If you have it and have had it, this isn't possible. Your body basically has a vaccine against it now. You can still get HSV2 though since it's a different strain. Herpes has many strains. The most popular one that many have heard of and had is Chicken Pox.