Herpes Community
What looks like a cold sore, but isn't one?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I had always assumed that I had cold sores.  I got one in high school after excessive sun exposure (I fell asleep and lived at the beach one summer); and another one after I went to the dentist and my lip ripped.  

I got a full STI test at the gyno, including a type specific test for HSV.  Yet, I tested negative for both kinds.  Does this mean I actually don't have HSV? Then what did I have?
even the best blood tests for herpes still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. your symptoms you've had sound exactly like oral herpes and even though your herpes blood test was negative for hsv1, I'd still assume you really do have hsv1.

grace
Do you think a second test from another gynecologist might help?  I want to know which HSV I have if I do have it.
There's no reason to see a gynecologist for oral herpes; it's not an STD. There's only one HSV1, so not sure what you're referring to. If you mean the location, you can have HSV1 oral or genital. You know yours is oral from the cold sores.

If it's bothering you to know, you can have the cold sore swabbed/cultured for herpes within 48 hours of it's appearance.
I haven't had a cold sore in years, so I'm not sure when one will crop up next.  I wanted to figure out which HSV I have since oral herpes can either be HSV 1 or 2, though it tends to be the former.  

My friend told me she has gotten a blister on her skin after tanning too much, but it turned out it wasn't a cold sore; it was just a sun blister from not applying sun protection on her lips.

I guess I just want to know finally once and for all what I have.  I'm neurotic like that.  Thanks though!

I guess I should move this topic elsewhere?  I wasn't sure where it would fit...sorry!
no this is the right forum for your questions. Petal meant that a gyn for cold sores isn't proper.

you can get blisters on the lips that aren't herpes but usually they are.  Unless your friend had a lesion culture done on active lip symptoms and followed up with blood tests, no way for us to say for sure she doesn't have oral herpes.  

About the only thing you can do at this point is get a herpes WB blood test. Even that still misses 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections too so no guarantees it will pick up on your hsv1 infection. Much easier ( and cheaper ) to assume you really do have hsv1 and take proper precautions with future partners.  
I have a blister on my lip and I put an erythromycin solution on it and the blister opened. I've never had sex and I'm a hygienic person, and recently I started using a chapstick would that be a reason for it?